Musicman HD130 pushing ACME 410's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Intune, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Hi all. Help an old tube amp dinosaur out. :cool: I am looking for a 410 cab. Eden, ACME, EA, Yorkville, or Avatar. Price is not the point although a "Best Buy" of sound vs price would work. My confusion comes from the fact that I use a Musicman HD-130 head and while this has powered an Acoustic 301 18" and JBL 15" through the years just fine it now appears highly underpowered when I see all the 1,000 watt headroom needed for these 410 cabs. What gives? If I plop my head onto an Eden 410 or power-sucking ACME will it crank or am I regulated to certain cabs with this head? Thanks.
  2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    An Eden 410 will crank it. Acmes are at the complete opposite end of the sensitivity spectrum and would require much more power to be gig worthy.
  3. With your HD-130s low wattage the Eden 410XLT would probably be a good pick because of the high sensitvity,more sound for the watts.The Acmes sound awesome but need more power to compete on stage,they aren't very efficient.Schoeders have a reputation for putting a lot of sound out for the watts also.Whatever cabinet you look at make sure it has a fairly high sensitivity.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Music Man head would be a poor match of an Acme...the Acmes are designed to go really deep, but the MM head's frequency response is probably limited by its output transformer to low E at best.

As power amp watts became cheaper, cabinet designers shifted their design philosophy when choosing from the "small/loud/deep...pick two" phenomenon by choosing small and deep forcing us to use gobs and gobs of power to make up for low cabinet efficiency.

Avatar cabinets seem to be pretty efficient and the 4x10 is/was tuned kind of high so it might be a relatively good match of a 130 watt tube head...
  5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    A friend and I both run Hartke 410XLs with HD-130 heads. I think tonally they are a good match...and my friend is notorious for blowing away guitarists with volume.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    here's a left field answer,

you could get a high quality DI box, and use the "speaker in" feature to send the entire amp signal safely to a separate SS power amp, and use that power amp to feed your Acme.

i do this often with my 60 watt Alessandro Basset Hound head, via an Avalon U5, into my Stewart World 1.2 which can feed 1200 watts into my Acme B-4.

BUT, you'll still need a proper "dummy load" box to alleivate the tube amp's power section. i do this by plugging in my 8 ohm THD Hotplate attenuator into an open speaker out on the Basset, setting it to "Load", and i'm good to go.

the tones are sooo unreal, think i'll use that for this weekend's church gig... ;)
  7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've always liked those old MusicMan amps. I knew a guy who had the 130 combo with the 15" EV speaker, very cool amp. Another kinda weird answer...may I suggest a Fender 4x10 cabinet. My friend has a BXR 4x10. It's 6 or 7 years old, with a sealed cabinet and a horn, and it weighs 68 pounds. It's not the deepest-sounding cab, but it's really punchy and it cuts through well with 130 watts @ 8 ohms from a GK 400RB.

I prefer the rear-ported Eden 410T to their 410XLT, it has a more balanced sound (to me at least). You can get some really good deals on used cabs if you know what you want and you're patient.
  8. Alright guys, thanks for the responses. Would I be in the ballpark if I use the Eden 410XLT on top of my 15" JBL cab? I'm thinkin' that might be a pretty strong set-up with the Acoustic 301 cab in reserve for larger venues. Do I have my low-down ducks in a row here?

Joker, I like that idea maybe down the road. Thanks all.
  9. Eden is an excellent choice. The Acme would swallow your Musicman whole and not even belch.
  10. Whoops! I just read the part where you'd like to use the 4x10 with the 1x15. Personally, I wouldn't go for it. The Eden 210XLT would be a much better match for your head and JBL 15 I think. With the Eden 410XLT you aren't even going to need the 15.
  11. So put the 410 on top of the 18" or would I be venturing into Mudbass land? :D You know I'm just messin'. It does seem to have enough power to run the 18 also but is it overkill for most 2-300 people rooms?
  12. I still have my old MM HD130 with the MM 18'' front loaded reflex cabinet. Haven't used that rig for over fifteen years but last week I decided to see what the amp would sound like with one of my Schroeders. I hooked the HD130 to my Schro/1210. It sounded weak, no punch. It might sound better with a lower watt cabinet. One cool thing about that head is it has a switch on the back for 4 or 8 ohm.
  13. Oh yeah. It makes a big diff on how that switch is set. I always make sure to have it in the right position for the gig. Tube amps are unforgiving if you jack with 'em.
  14. Mudbass is right,with the Eden 410XLT you would have no reason to add your JBL 15 or an 18.They have the mids to cut through but mucho apparent low end on their own.This is why I swithced to Eden cabinets years ago,they work great on their own.