1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musicman in GC today.............wow!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Dec 7, 2018.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

So, my job had a luncheon today and down the road is a GC so I stopped in to buy some PA stuff. I decided to have a look see in the bass dept. Typical stuff but spotted one of the new Stingrays. A 5 string. I grabbed it off the wall. Holy Crap was it light! May have been 9lbs tops but I think lighter. A MM 5 string under 9lbs?!?! What?!?! I tried it out a little. String spacing was comfortable. Didn't seem tight at all. Maybe 18-18.5mm? Very nice. The weight had me gasping! Price put me off though. $2199!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Bassist Jay, Ellery, MCF and 6 others like this.
  2. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    They are well worth the price. Tone. Ergonomics. Build. Weight. Everything is spot on.

Yeah, they’re not priced like an MIM Fender, but they’re not MIM Fenders.

Badwater, joker820, bdplaid and 10 others like this.
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Beautiful roasted maple neck and fretboard. I forgot they changed the bridge as I kept looking at it thinking it was a SUB Ray5 model. Then I looked at the price tag. Bass was sweet. Will take me a while to save up for that but I am intrigued! Weight was amazing. Never ever picked up a Stingray5 that light. Wow!

4. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I beleive they are still standard 17.5 spacing which is very comfortable. They are really good basses built like a tank. Gigged a anchor weight one for 4 years. Bass weighed 12 pounds lol.

5. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Yes, the string spacing on the 5-string EBMM Basses is 17.5mm.

6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Great basses. Most comfortable lightest weight best sounding easiest playing finest looking sparkling 5 string bass I’ve ever owned. Worth every penny.

D3766CAF-2950-4BF9-841B-264D2597A77A.

7. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    The new MIM Players Series Fenders are killer.

8. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Nice list of superlatives there!

raphaeld and lowdownthump like this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have said for years that the main thing that set Music Man apart from boutiques was weight. Now that EBMM has committed to lighter basses, it is no surprise that the price increased. Even with the price increase Music Man is still cheaper than a handmade Sadowsky Metro (not the factory made Metroline series.)

From what I hear, Stingray Fives are 17.5mm at the bridge. That is not super tight. My Sire VM is 17.5mm at the bridge and I have no problem switching from it to my wider spaced fives.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  10. NorseBear0903

NorseBear0903

Nov 26, 2018
    I have a 5 string Stingray Special. Its a really excellent instrument. becoming one of my all time favorites.

lowdownthump and HD007 like this.
  11. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Dec 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Endorsing: GHS Strings
    It still has the issue of no wiggle room for the g string. It comes off the fret board easily if you get aggressive. So depressing.

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I bought my kid a 2018 MIM P (ocean turquoise), and the bass is amazing.

13. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Nothing a little change of technique can’t handle.

14. I gigged my SR5HH Special for the first time last night - aside from the playability and superb range of sound (mimics the 4 string really but with the added low B), I did not and have not (since I've had the bass) pushed the G off the edge of the frets - this does happen on my SR5H occasionally. I'm wondering whether they've changed the shape of the fret ends slightly? Also, Slpbass 81, are you talking from experience of playing the new Stingray Special?

Gratuitous photo also (NB soon to have a black pg option courtesy of Lowdownthump )

image.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I love it! I am a sucker for teal!

HD007, MCF and lowdownthump like this.
  16. Thanks Dr Cheese. The two together (PS you should really get one of these - they really are exceptional instruments)

image.

17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Back in 2006, I had a cherry burst SR5 HH. It sounded awesome and it weighed about 13 lbs. At that time, we suffered a big drop in income, and I let it go. The new Stingrays are great, but already have some nice basses, I do not see me having a spare $2.2K anytime soon.

18. Sean Parsons

Sean Parsons

Nov 13, 2018
    I never hear much talk about the Caprice or the Cutlass.

Are these not well regarded?

19. No, they"re crap

StrangerDanger likes this.
  20. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    EB should send out Christmas tree ornaments of their little sparkly basses to all their registered customers as a present

Heyturnup, HD007, BOOG and 5 others like this.