1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musicman in GC today.............wow!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Dec 7, 2018.

1. DOH!
    Glad I didn't actually drive out there now.
    We must have driven right past there on the way back from the beach a few years ago.

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

They’re also more expensive because they’re made here.

FWIW you can always compare products. A lot of very expensive products suffer badly when compared to their less expensive alternatives. Not to say MM basses do. But that doesn’t mean we should stop comparing them to their competition at all levels.

I don’t know who coined this old business adage. But it’s true:

“When products have to compete - they get better.”

3. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I just don’t think people are accepting of change. They look to EBMM for Stingrays

4. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    What I am saying is that it’s silly to sit a high end steak house and complain that McDonalds is much cheaper when you see the bill.

Pet Sounds likes this.
  5. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Happened a couple times with my first EBMM 5. I altered my technique a little, and never an issue since. It’s easy to overcome. Sometimes it’s not the bass.

lowdownthump likes this.
  6. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    I never know when to take you seriously. But with all your amp/pedal posts lately, I guess it won’t surprise me to see a NBD post from you tonight.

lowdownthump likes this.
  7. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I don't think they drill the truss rods, the channel is routed with a CNC machine, so pretty hard to get wrong. More likely your nut was cut slightly off making it look like the truss rod was in the wrong place.

8. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    It was definitely off center. Guitar Center took it back no question and they couldn’t believe it

9. not today
    not a fan of Stingrays or 5-strings

I'm done, set for the Winter:

JUViY7SwI60eCWGIdpTIl5yJuHOJk7ZIcocfcuvq-hYPUNaqazmWgGV5GHP9E3nRQ_Hm0Zrg&_nc_ht=scontent.fric1-2.

This is the first time all that gear was bought new.
    Almost always bought pre-owned in the past.

wmmj and MCF like this.
  10. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Guitar Center would take it back either way. Did you actually measure it? Do you have a photo you can post? I've seen what you are talking about before, and it was an issue with the nut. These are the same CNC machines used in the US factory and basically the same ones EB and other manufacturers are using.

Either way, many people have bought them and think they are fine instruments, including me. Btw., I've had a bunch of EB basses, and they have not been free for issues either.

11. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I posted the pictures here. I know they’ll take it back. What I’m saying is that they acknowledged the problem and actually brought out several people in the store to see it because they couldn’t believe how bad it was.

wmmj and MCF like this.
  12. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US

It's possible, but if you are citing anyone at Guitar Center as an expert witness, that's not helping your claim :) Was it a maple or rosewood fingerboard? I don't want to through mud at EB, but they had to make me a new neck for a brand new bass because of a manufacturing defect. No one is perfect.

13. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    He says it was off center. You want peeps now to ask you for evidence the EBMMs you had “were not free of issues”? Pictures, documentation, witnesses? :facepalm:

Of course MIM Fenders are better than Music Mans in every way imaginable. Fender just sells them cheap because they want intermediate players to have the best possible instruments while pulling one over on their MIA customers. Yea, don’t wast money on an EBMM ‘cause that MIM Fender is dope. Your Kia is every bit as good as that Mercedes, too. :roflmao:

MIM Fenders are good instruments. But we’ve all played them. And we know they don’t stand up to EBMMs.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    HD007 and StrangerDanger like this.
  14. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Fender 2018 MIM Player Series If this is your bass, I just grabbed a ruler on my desk and measured and the truss rod hole is centered. I think you are seeing an illusion caused by the way the nut is cut.

15. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    So...This comes in chrome hardware standard?

16. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    I actually didn't make that comparison, and it's pretty stupid. Btw, I have been a fan of EB instruments for years.

Stevorebob likes this.
  17. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas

18. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    It was off center. There is zero argument to the contrary. It was the most egregiously dumb thing I have ever seen from Fender. I love Fenders but the MIM Fenders are not nearly on the same quality level as the EBMM stuff.

bdplaid likes this.
  19. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Ash body.

20. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US

I agree that the US EBs are certainly well made and generally very consistent. The nut hole does look off on your bass, btw., hard to believe that could happen considering they are not exactly hand made. Just curious, did the truss rod appear to work ok?