1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musicman in GC today.............wow!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    No it was overly stiff. Over time it would have warped the neck. I returned it and used the money to offset the cost of my Stingray. They didn't even put it back on the wall. They sent it back to Fender. Even CNC machines require people paying attention to what they are doing.

lowdownthump likes this.
  2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Out of curiosity…did Fender agree with you? I’ve seen Fender reject things that didn’t have anywhere near as serious an issue as an off center truss rod. What you got with yours has got to be a first. I’m amazed something like that wasn’t caught long before you got it. I can’t see how it even made it past the basic setup Fender does on their instruments.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    jmone likes this.
  3. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
  4. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I sent that picture to Fender and they encouraged me to return it. They didn't acknowledge it other than to say that I should return it to the retailer.

jmone and 40Hz like this.
  5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Glad they made good on it. But man, that is really weird. Right when you think you've heard it all, right? :wideyed:

StrangerDanger likes this.
  6. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I have both. MM Specials are way better, as they should be.

lowdownthump, keto and HD007 like this.
  7. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    So do I, a Jaguar and a MM 4HH. The MIM is a nice bass, and I used it as my primary for a couple months. Comparing the 2 is almost ludicrous, the Stingray is better in every single respect of build quality, like worlds apart. Fret work, paint job, fit and finish, even final assembly - I've yet to own a new Fender (probably a dozen over the years) that didn't need a bunch of screws tightened, the Ray comes tight as a drum.

Tonally they are not the same, so that's subjective of course and, no, I can't get a 'real' P bass sound with the Ray but sure is close enough for the rock n roll I'm playing, and the other positions or at least my favourite 2, are like nothing else I have in the stable.

EDITED TO ADD I've read everything I could find about the 2018 Stingray Specials. Mine is about the heaviest I have heard of (several others right in range with this, but most are lighter) at 9.47 lbs. Many 4H and even others coming in at 7.xx lbs. Mine is ebony board and sparkle finish, so both of those are heavier options. A plain finish or natural with a maple or rosewood board is likely going to be sub 8.5 every single time even in a 4HH, and the 5's aren't significantly more. I think the days of 10-12 lb Stingrays are gone.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  8. cms

cms

Feb 25, 2015
    Utica, NY

Wow, mine is a 12+lbs boulder.

9. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Zooberwerx said:
    Which GC?
    Victoria's Bottom?
    Ventura Boulevard?
    Virginia Beach?

10. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Which is not to say that the player series aren't good for the money and what they are. I love mine.

wmmj, king_biscuit and keto like this.
  11. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    100%. A step up from prior MIM's, imo. I picked up a Jazz in store and almost hit the ceiling with it it was so light - when did anyone ever say that about a J? I've probably handled 20 in stores now, P's mostly out of curiosity, there weren't any that on initial impression I wouldn't be happy to own. I have a great 2008 USA P so don't need another, but you never know :p

wmmj and king_biscuit like this.
  12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Well, if you were in the club (Tidewater / Hampton Roads, VA), you'd know that VB = Virginia Beach, NN = Newport News, P'town = Portsmouth, Billy's Burg = Williamsburg.

Riis

DWBass likes this.
  13. ShredLikeTim

ShredLikeTim

Mar 4, 2018
    lowdownthump and HD007 like this.
  14. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Which was my point. Someone chimed in early in the thread to point out that the EB Special basses are better built than MIM Fenders. Ok, but for $600.00 the new MIM Fenders are killer -- that was my point.

bdplaid and MCF like this.
  15. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US

My experience too. Clearly there could be a lemon here and there, but the good ones are outstanding.

bdplaid likes this.
  16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Sorry, Riis and I know each other and live in the same area. VB=Virginia Beach. He knew. ;)

waynobass and Zooberwerx like this.
  17. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    I agree. Fender cop grief for not being innovative, I don’t blame Fender for continuing to roll out the classics.

18. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Not to mention it's sitting on a wickedly awesome cushion. :)
    Hmm...I must try one of these new Stingray basses, the lighter weight sounds like a godsend. I have a Ray and it's a trifle bit on the heavy side.

lowdownthump likes this.
  19. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    No, someone — I did — chimed in early on to say the StingRay Specials are well worth the price, but the price is not like an MIM Fender. I also said they’re not MIM Fenders.

lowdownthump likes this.
  20. Victoria Bitter:

VB%20web.

also known colloquially as Vitamin B

MCF likes this.