Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman necks regarding birdseye...trend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a '97 Sterling and the neck AND fingerboard are birdseye maple and beautiful. I notice that a lot of slightly older (few years) Musicman stingrays and sterligns have birdseye. A notice most of the new ones dont. Is this all in my head? is there any specific years when birdseye was used more often? Ray/Sterling owners, what does yours have?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sadly, neither my '00 SR5 nor my '01 Sterling have birdseye... I want to say they quit using it in around 1999.

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I own and play a 92 SR5 that I got New in June of 92.it has a beautiful Birdseye neck and Fingerboard(I prefer the birdseye necks and fingerboard).I think MM stop using birdseye maple necks and fingerboards around 94.MM felt that the birdseye neck and fingerboard wasen't as stable as the Maple they would later use.don't take my word for it just ask MM.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well i wouldnt be 94 bc mine is 97 and i have seen many 97/98 MM's with birdseye.

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    That may be correct but regionally they started to clean stock(of Birds eye maple necks and fingerboards) around 94.MM felt that the Birds eye neck and fingerboards were just not reliable.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That could be true i suppose, the cleaning out stock thing. I havent had any bad experiences with them, but i could see how perhaps they could be seen as weaker because it IS infected wood and stuff.

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    1998?

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    IIRC MM stopped using birds eye when they expanded their factory and began to produce a lot more basses. FWIW, i want a sterling from before that happened.

9. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Most of the guys I talk to at EBMM say it's simply a question of availability. It wasn't a question of reliability or producing more basses or any of that - they had lots of birdseye available for a while and now they don't.

FWIW and IMHO, I'd rather have the non-birdseye necks, although I'm not entirely sure I buy into the "stability" issue.

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I prefer the Birds eye maple.I've been dealing with MM for a while and on more than a few occassions asked about the departing use of Birds eye maple and was informed that there were several reasons why MM was no longer using birds eye maple and Stability being one of them.

please remember I'm talking about what I came across with the SR5.
    After 94 I couldn't find a SR5 with Birds eye maple neck or fingerboard anywhere.

11. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Im with bov on this one. I dont think stability is a big issue with birdseye, my 97 stingray has a birdseye neck and I've probobly only had to slightly adjust the truss rod like 2 times within a year (give or take) Getting birdseye maple is just luck of the draw

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im with you on this one as well. Anyone have pics of their birdseye?

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I agree 100%,I was only stating what I was informed.

14. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I've owned 3 Sterlings and have tried many MM's. I believe there is a different between Sterling models made before 1999-2000 and those made after. The early models seem to have a better feel to them, soundwise I also have to say that I believe there is a difference. Don't know if this is just me, but that's my experience. At the moment I own a 1993 Black MM Sterling with rosewood. Sounds KILLER.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you put a Tortoishell pg on your sterling, it would look ace. Black/ts/rw is mucho nice. (Score for having pre '99 , '00 sterlings.) I dont have as much MM comparison experience but i have played a '01 Stingray5 and can say it didnt feel nearly as good as my Sterling does.

16. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    <I>I believe there is a different between Sterling models made before 1999-2000 and those made after. The early models seem to have a better feel to them, soundwise I also have to say that I believe there is a difference. Don't know if this is just me....</i>

There were no changes made to Sterlings or anything else in that time period. Now if you go further back to when EB changed from poly finished necks to oil and wax, then I could sign on to there being a difference.

Older is not always better, no matter what the vintage "mojo is magic" guys think. I've had pre-EB Rays, transition models, from the 80s through the 90s and very recent models. I've had five or six Stingray 5s, some old, some new, some borrowed, some transparent green. I've had a handful of Sterlings. I seem to have acquired a small herd of Bongos, even.

The absolute best Stingray I ever played was a 2001 model. Ain't a pre-EB around that could compete with that one. Don't ask me why - it was just perfect. Zat mojo? Can something from 2001 have mojo already? Is mojo transferable?

Ah well, what you BELIEVE about the bass is probably more important than what is actually fact. If you think the mid-90s were better for Sterlings, then - for you - it's true.

Right?

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think this is true. If a kid loves his Squier more than Foderas, more power to him, right?

18. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Yeah I totally agree with you, different strokes for different folks! ....I was just wondering if MM made some changes during this period, which could explain why I think they feel a bit different....

19. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I bought my Sterling fretless during the summer of '94 (I belive), and at that point, they were being advertised as having birdseye necks. If you can find the BP review, it should also indicate the same. However, the birdseye figure on my bass isn't what I'd consider to be "insane, over-the-top" birdseye figure. But....it does have some nice blistering throughout the neck. At that time, they all should have had some degree of birdseye figuring in neck.

20. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i have to say that birdseye aside, i like the feel and tone of the early 90's sterlings over today's MM basses or the older MM's of the 70's and 80's