1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicman OLP basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emf818, Apr 3, 2013.

1. emf818

emf818 Guest

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm on the verge (Keyword Verge) of almost getting one in a trade, I noticed they're not sold anywhere online anymore so can anyone pinpoint why? Nothing like a defect in the bass right? Also someone told me they sound pretty close to a higher up Musicman, Is this true.

I apologize if this has been asked a million times.

2. They have basswood bodies, were made over seas & were only licensed by MusicMan & produced under the OLP name. Their quality is akin to the Sterling By MusicMan SUB series basses. They get good reviews, but it would all depend on what you're trading as to whether it's worth it or not. You're by no means getting an Ernie Ball MusicMan in this trade, but you're not getting snubbed if you have something mediocre.

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Were only made for a few years. First ones were very good. On August 22, 2005, I sat down in GC one quiet afternoon and was able to compare "apples to apples" with the OLP and a MM Stringray. Same amp, settings etc. The OLP sounded and played better. I bought it and still have it. It's still one of my favorites. :cool:

BTW - the new out the door GC price for me that day - $214.99 total!

4. CaptainGrog

CaptainGrog

Jun 24, 2011
    I got one for 70 bucks a few years back because I wanted a Musicman but didnt have Musicman money. It wasnt in the best shape and it had ALOT of buzz even after some adjustments, it just didnt really have a great feel. I sold it a little while ago for about 150 but looking back I should've kept it and modified it.

5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Ditto. Mine came from GC and was wall demo model. Stole it for $100. And like Oren I had chance to A-B it with real honest to God Stingrays. Of course the OLP is passive so there was only similarity when 'Ray was set to flat EQ. But in that mode you COULD NOT tell the difference between them. And the OLP felt better to play.

Down side is the passive wiring in them was particularly nasty. I changed the wiring with a series/parallel mod and I really love it. But I also have a Leo's Original Circuit preamp to install but I haven't actually installed it yet. But I did duct tape it to the outside of the bass for a bit to try it out and it absolutely KILLED!

Story is that some of the OLPs were nasty but if you get a good one, it's REALLY good! They didn't stop making the basses because they were bad it was just a business thing. In fact they had just started selling OLP basses with nice preamps in them that were extremely well received. If you find one of those GRAB IT!