Musicman on ebay but overseas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cambass, Jun 30, 2005.

I recently found this lefty Musicman on ebay. Only problem it's in the US and I'm in Australia. At around it's current price I'd be paying less than half than what it would here in Aus, even adding what I assume would be a hefty shipping charge it would still be a good deal.

Questions are: does anyone know an approximate amount for shipping? Has anyone have experience buying basses overseas (ebay and otherwise?).
  2. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I've been watching that auction myself. Its nearly my dream MM, if only it was a maple fretboard.

I would guess shipping would sit around $150 for air, at least.
  3. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I have a full size bass in hardcase in transit from the States at the moment via UPS, and the cost was $US253 via the basic 'expedited' service.

Basses are too big to go via the post unless the neck is removed and not shipped in the case.
  4. Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    if your that keen on getting the bass ask the seller about a quote for shipping and if he under estimates thats his loss. also bare in mind import duty, i know in the UK its a nightmare. ( i considered a fender japan and then just cried myself to sleep thinking of all the tax i'd get etc.)
  5. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Wrong. Basses can be shipped via US post office. I've shipped a few and recently a MM Sterling to France. Its called Global Express mail and it cost the buyer $120 insured for $900. And it only took 4 days to arrive. UPS and others are a big ripoff when it comes to shipping stuff like guitars and basses overseas.
  6. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I have a '79 Musicman that I bought new 25 years ago that looks identical to that. I love it! :)
  7. Yes you can ship via USPS. Problem is Australia has length limit via USPS. A bass is too long. As Dharmabass mentioned earlier, only way to ship USPS to Australia is to take the neck off (exactly what I have done with a Warwick in transit as we speak).
    Cambass wants to get the musicman to Australia.

8. Can't hurt to get a quote from the seller for shipping. Its in the hardcase so I'd so go with UPS or similar. You couldn't ship the hardcase via USPS becuase of Australias length limit.
    You will get hit with tax on the way in - At least 10% GST on the cost of the bass and shipping plus some "Customs handling" charge through UPS which is about $50 - $100?? so allow that in your sums. If you are sure what you want and do the research - importing can save you heaps of money :)
    I am sure Lefty Musicmans don't come up all that often here in Australia.

9. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I stand corrected! :)
  10. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Very true, plus the fact they cost a mint. :crying: