MusicMan pick-ups Q

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Monolith, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Monolith

Oct 13, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ.
    I am not very familiar with how MM pick-ups affect tone. What frequency range do they fall in? highs/lows lows/mids highs/mids, etc.... What's the theory behind 'em?
  2. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    stock MM pickups are known to have the "smiley face" EQ to them... they have a really bright, ballsy sound... some people call this harsh...

all this is from reading and knowledge i've acquired from TB... i haven't actually messed with the pickups myself... so i can't give you any firsthand info...
  3. I'm not positive on the range of them, but i do know that I and many others seem to like them. "i may not know pickups, but i know what i like." Sorry, i dont know if anyone gets that but ya know, "I dont know art but i know what i like" come on its funny!! Oh yeah, and Falsehood, i know where you're coming from, trying to be punk rock and a good bassist at the same time.. its not so easy. I listened to a few of the Mp3s by the way, they're really good. did you leave them? or what?
  4. neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Here's a chart with the stock MM preamp gain/cut freqs.
  5. neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Sorry folks. The file is too big to attach. According to the graph I got from EB, the mid is centered at 500 hz, Low starts at 5hz, high up to 50Khz.
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Make sure to keep the qualities of the pickup and those of the preamp separate here. I think the question was specific to the pickup shape itself.

The general MM pickup design is a wide-aperture humbucker. Wide-aperture means the coils "see" a little more of the string than say a J-bass pickup. This generally tends to "open" the sound up a bit and get a broader frequency range. The humbucking aspect has a similar effect, but the added turns from the second coil cut down on the treble response a bit and add low-mids. Increase this effect if the coils are in series instead of parallel.

I don't know the actual frequencies involved, but the end result seems to be a pickup with lots of midbass and high-mids/low-treble. I think many Stingray users also bump up the bass and treble on the preamp, this contributes to that "Stingray sound". Also, the placement of the pickup in the "sweet spot" is important here.

Bear in mind that a Bartolini MM pickup will still sound pretty different than a stock or SD or Lane Poor (if you can find one) MM pickup. Also Bartolini and LP for example sell (sold) different kinds of MM pickups that can sound vastly different.