Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

musicman pickup covers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Aug 20, 2001.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    ive been looking for a replacement pickup cover for my stingray. I paint all my pickup covers on my guitars and i wanted to do this for my basses. Does anyone know where u can buy one of these. I tried having a few shops custom make me one, no dice. Custom my behind. Well if anyone has any ideas that'd be great, thanks

2. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Let me know if you have any luck with this approach. I contacted them for pickup placement and they were no help at all, but then I don't own a Sterling, just the pickup that I want to install in another bass. Think you could take some measurements for me??? I would really appreciate it. I want to put the pickup in the same place as it goes in the Sterling as that is what it was designed for.

The cover on my pickup is molded on the thing and I can't imagine how you would get it off without destroying the pickup. But you could conceivibly cast a cover if you can't find one. If you can find out who manufactures them for MM maybe they will sell you one. How do you paint them and why??

3. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I had the same problem with Ernie Ball when I wanted to put a MM pup in my Yamaha BB bass. They gave me the 3rd degree about what bass I was using the MM pup in. What they wanted most of all is a serial number of your ernie ball bass. Unless you have a friend who willing to lend you his serial number, then your best bet is the MM basslines replacement. Consequently, when you own an Ernie Ball product, I have found the customer service to be excellent.

4. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I already have the pup! I just need the exact placement in the Sterling so I can put it in the same place in my bass. Man it sure is one honkin big ass pup. I get a boner just holding it.

Glad to hear that MM takes care of business when you are a customer.

5. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Just curious how and why:confused:

6. Ummm....uh...:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    :rolleyes: IN LAYMENS TERMS OF COURSE;)

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    how and why?

ok hows easy. I get a pickup cover, such as a single coil strat pickup. Then i sand the surface to get a rough painted surface. Then i just put a coat or 2 of paint on, then put a coat or 2 of laquer to protect the paint from comming off when your playing. Why is just cause i like the looks. My stingray has a white pickguard. The blackpickup looks ugly next to the white pickguard. I wanted to get an extra cover to paint white or blue to match the bass. I just think it looks cool is all, it doesn't really do a whole lot, but it makes other musicians take a second look wondering where u got that cool blue pickup.