musicman pickup question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by soontobedead, Nov 5, 2005.

1. soontobedead

Jul 14, 2005
    ok, i REALLY want musicman style pickups, but i haven't found a set for 6-string, so i was wondering if you can "stack" 2 sepparate 4-string PU's so they can cover the whole spectrum (like P-style PU's) or i'm just talking non-sense :bag:
  2. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Haven't seen much Carvin ripping for a while (but haven't been in the bass forum for sometime either so that's probably why).

At any rate, I've had the Carvin alnico 5 4 string, Original Ray, Sterling, Nord 4.2, and to me the difference was splitting hairs. I'd bet the acoustic properties of different basses would affect tone more than choosing one of those pups over the other. Of some 75+ sets of pups I've ran, alnico 5 MMs are the only pups designed to put out a certain tone where everyone seems to consistently nailed it.

So what I'm saying here is, although I don't touch 6's, I'd speculate the Carvin is as good as any of them (or would be if somebody else made them to compare to - and I would think there are more of them around).