Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

musicman pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bryanczar, Jul 12, 2005.

1. bryanczar

bryanczar

Mar 14, 2005
    Has anybody modified the pickups for the musicman?
    I already have replaced the pickup with the Seymour Duncan
    soap bar, but still not happy.
    Thinking about replacing that with 2 jass bass pickups,
    or, leaving the seymour in and adding 1 jazz pickup closer the the neck. Any help ??

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Advice: buy a different bass.

The 'Ray is all about the pickup and its signature sound. If that isn't doing it for you, you shouldn't destroy it and should start looking for a different axe that has the sound you are looking for.

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    +1

The 'Ray and Rickenbacker for example are known for their distinctive sound, much of it comes from the construction, body and neck. Just sell it and buy another bass that you are happy with.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, while putting in something like an aftermarket Alnico MM pup like an SD can make some nice differences in the sound (such as warming up the low end), it doesn't totally change the sound of the bass. If you don't like the stingray sound, get another bass.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

A purist I'm not and I've got no allegiance to any brand. My take on any bass (short of something rare or valuable) is that the bass itself is the main thing, the rest you can make work.

If it's comfortable, plays well, and the acoustic tone is appealing, that in itself can be hard to replace and is worth hanging onto. You can alway's route for whatever and throw down a pickgaurd. Likely to cut into the value and market demand even if professionally done, but swapping basses is not like swapping pups - it gets expensive in a hurry for most of us - and you probably stand more to lose by swapping basses than salvaging the one you've got.

One of the more practical ways to determine your combo is to find a bass you like played to the kind of music you play (not soundclips or solo in a store) and duplicate the guts. You may not have the rig it was played through (which should be noted as well) but you'll have a real good start.

On the other hand, there's no point in chopping up a bass in order to create choice tone when you can't stand to play it to begin with - unless it's just going to be a lab rat for a bass you like.

As an afterthought, regarding rigging, if you happen to be playing through rigging you don't like, the real issue may not be with the bass.