MusicMan Piezo's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cyberpastor, Oct 4, 2000.

1. cyberpastor

Jun 11, 2000
    Has anyone played or more importantly added a piezo to their Stingray? I have just bought a fretless stingray and am intrigued to know what the possibilities could be for this kind of modification.
  2. Well never tried It myself.. but it seems as if the controls for the piezo has got its own cavity in the back of the body, so I guess you have to make a new cavity. I also think that the crescent controlplate will have to be replaced with a new one with 5 holes for controls: (vol, bass, mid, treble, piezo/pup balance). But I dont think it is impossible. Good Luck!
  3. If you talk with Thomas Von Engel (He works for Ernie Ball),he can give you the low down on the piezo.No pun intended.I've always wanted to try a Stingray that was equipped with one but could never find any;let me know how yours sounds if you get it.Dying to know!!!
  4. G

Apr 12, 2000
    I just so happen to own a StingRay5 with the piezo bridge. It is a wonderful and welcome addition to the StingRay sound. THe piezo is totally adjustable and can be manipulated through the back of the bass (it has its own cavity). I have found it to be very useful and have it at least at 25% or so most of the time. For instance, say you are playing a slap line in a song with a very melodic lyracal bridge or something. Crank the piezo knob all the way down on the slapping, and when it is time for some smooth finger style, kick over to about 1/2. Then, when it is time to play the blues and just lay down support, go about 3/4. Go all the way for softer acoustic numbers or a really full edgeless sound - BUT STILL PUNCHY. The piezo adds depth. THat is the best way to describe it. It brings out double stops and chords - adds a different type of growl to the already growly StingRay.
  5. I was originally going to get a Stingray5 Fretless with a piezo bridge on it. But when i came across Lightwave and Bill Conklin, i've decided to go with that system and the IceTone which is the piezo system of the Lightwave. It sounds remarkable. If you don't belive me, read's recent interview with Dann Glenn, he has a lightwave on his bass and praises it during the interview.
  6. Someday I hope I'll be able to check out both systems.Thanks.(Somday I hope I'll be able to afford either). Waaaaahhh!!!!
  7. Well, i can't afford it, i do know that, but i know that that's not gonna stop me from saving up as long as it takes to make the money to get one. I mean i've already started makin specs for it.
  8. cyberpastor

Jun 11, 2000
    MrFortune Cookie,

I did contact Ernie Ball and they didn't seem that enthusiastic about the idea of a retro-fit. I also contacted the people who actually make the unit for Ernie Ball - Fishman and they too were perplexed at digging out a second cavity on my bass.

Apparently they (Fishman) are working on some unit to replace the bridge which they have for various Fender guitars that will eventaully by transferrable to bass.

I guess I'll just have to have two Stingrays :)