Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman plays Jazz/fusion, feasible?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmanwho, Jun 14, 2005.

1. bassmanwho

bassmanwho

Jul 3, 2004
    Hi dear TBers, I play in a local jazz/fusion band with my Yamaha TRB5II, there's one guy who wants to exchange his 5-string Stingray with my TRB5II. I don't know, from my past experience, Stingray is much of a funk/slap oriented bass, and I don't know if it'll fit in my band's low registers.

I started to hasitate becuase the Stingray is higher in market value. And it's also a good bass, IMO. I especially love its slap sound and playability.

Any opinion will be appreciated.

2. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    i think musicman is a better bass, the 5 string stingray is more multi-purpose than the 4 string (by its pickupswitch and its standard 3-band EQ)

3. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    i'll say Why not! i have a 'ray5.. with the piezo pick-up ( that give me a lot of new tone i my opinion..) and i've played Gary Willis stuff for a guy in his guitar exam, and i was pretty surprised that the tone was cool.. ,not the same.. that's sure, but i was quite happy to give my own tone to a style that i don't play a lot.. if you know what i mean...

The only advice i can give you.. is try the bass without the fact that it have an higher market value.. just look at the sound cause MM is not a tone that everybody loves.. ans it's Ok, Music is good cause of it's difference...

4. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    The Stingray 5 is a perfectly good bass for whatever type of music you wish to play.

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Lot's of players use the SR5 for "smooth jazz" type stuff(and just about anything else you can think of). It is coveted for it's ability to "smoothly" provide cut and beef for both fingerstyle and slap. I played one for quite a while and loved it. It is capable of a warm "jazz" fingerstyle tone, you just have to live on the back half of the pup and play a bit further back tward the bridge, that was my experience anyway. The one thing I will say is that the differences between a maple fingerboard and a rosewood is quite dinstinct in the context of this bass, it could make all the difference. If the guy is serious about swapping basses try his out, and by all means get the bass checked-out as well. I don't know what the difference in resale value is between the two basses is but if you end up with a bass that has problems....then you have problems..

6. bassmanwho

bassmanwho

Jul 3, 2004
    Thank you all for replying. I didn't know that Stingray 5 comes with a peizo pickup. I only played my friend's stingray 4, and it has only one sound IMO. It has 4 knobs, vol, high, mid, and low. I wonder if Stingray is more versatile for the different type of electronics?
    If I wanna try his out, I gonna go on a long journey to his city. So that's why I need some opinion before I hit the road.

7. Not all Stingray 5's have a piezo pickup. Its an option on either 4 or 5 string models. Ask the guy wanting to trade if it has it.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think the most important thing is do you like the SR5's basic tone and playability. If you like the bass, you will find it very versatile. I know I can get lots of sounds out of mine: classic slap SR slap sound, really funky wired series slap sound, muted treble & single coil for semi P-bass sound, all controls full wired series finger sound
    (very responsive). I would also recommend listening to Tony Levin and David Larue to get an idea about how to get the most out of a Stingray5/Sterling.

9. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree with this. The Stingray 5 is versatile in that a bunch of tones can be had (stingray tones that is) and seems to sit well in a variety of musical settings. No doubt the comfort and playability will be there, I still think the Stingray 5 was the most comfortable 5 string for me. The key here is to determine if you like the tone as it is different than most basses especially if you have mostly played basses with single coils or some other pickup configuration. It will sound very different to your ears at first especially in a band setting.

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I own a Ray5 w/a maple board and have used it for a wide vareity of styles including the jazz/fusion idiom. I like it-to me, the neck is perfect [for now....] and the only thing that would be a possible change is the string spacing at the bridge-for slap/pop i'd like it a hair wider, but for chording/fingerstyle-i like it where it's at. Since 99.9% of my playing is fingerstyle-i can't complain too much.

The Ray5 vs. Yammer-that's your call. Some love the Ray5 sounds and some don't. I do. :bassist:

11. SR5 has bass/mid/treb boost/cut. I think the SR4 has bass/treb boost only? So they're two different animals. And many do NOT have the piezo pickup, so don't assume its included.

The basses will probably sound way different at first glance, so take the time to play with EQ/pickup wiring to get close to your old bass sound before freaking out and thinking its "too different" sounding. You 've had years to tweak your amp to make your currrent bass sound the way you want. Give it a good workout before you decide which way to go.

If you're doing jazz/fusion, looking for that growly tight sound, I'd think the SR5 would be ideal. I tried for years to get "that" sound out of my MIA Jazz V dlx, bridge pickups, and the SR5 nailed it.

It does slap great too, by the way. But fingerstyle you can get great tone too. Probably have trouble getting the boomy muddy indistinct tones ala rap bass, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

Randy

12. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    stingray sounds great for fusion! listen to Planet X's Live from OZ, or any other by Dave LaRue. I say do it.

13. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    emailing with a guy who wants to trade his 3 yr old, M. Pulcinella Level 5, w/x5 bart pups and 3 band pre, cocobolla frtbrd, white body(meh) for my 3 yr old, Sray 5, honeyburst, rosewood frtbrd. They are both priced to sell at $900 so we would do even trade. I am looking for a good, jazz style 5er, he is looking for the Sray 5. Anybody got any thoughts on the MP bass? Good trade / bad trade?