Musicman poll : Stingray or bongo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JJd2sc, Jan 20, 2004.

A stingray or a bongo?

Poll closed Feb 19, 2004.
  1. Bongo

45 vote(s)
  2. Stingray

96 vote(s)
  1. JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Okay, last thing im posting about this, but would you chose a stingray or a bongo? I own an 89 ray and am having really hard emotional problems over this... So factor in the 89ness of the ray.
  2. I have tried many Stingrays and liked them...but i keep hear ing the Bongo is just more versatile and mean, and you can get a Stingray sound with it apparantly.
    So a Bongo to me would be a logical choice cause it can do what a Ray does plus more.
    However i still have yet to try one so i dunno how much help i would be in the poll.
  3. Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Artists Relations, KMI
    i played both recently, and ive gotta say, I like the stingray more. The bongo just had a kinda blah undefined tone. i guess that's cool for some people, but it didnt really do it for me. besides the looks, it also seemed oddly built: painted neck, unnervingly light body, plastic recessed knobs... all that kinda "space age design" type stuff.

on another note, I like the older, pre-ernie rays more than the newer ones.

hope that helped some-
  4. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    *** kind of amps and in what kind of settings are you guys playing these basses? What pickup config was this Bongo?

Look, I have MM basses, always have and always will and if you decide to keep the Stingray, what's the worst you can say?

"I have a Stingray." Well, that ain't bad. I have Stingrays, I have Sterlings....GREAT basses, as you already know. But I am telling you, this business of Bongos having a "blah, undefined tone"? Get outta Dodge.

Two big fat MM humbuckers. First, imagine how hard it is to get "blah" out of a run of the mill EBMM humbucker. Hard to picture? It is for me.

Then add ANOTHER ONE. Then add the most versatile preamp MM has ever built and tell me where "blah" comes in.

I got two of these mofos and am thinking about a third, but "unnervingly light body"? Are you SURE it was a Bongo? My four banger goes about 9 lbs easy and the fiver is real close to ten, heavier than my Stingray 5. Light? Well, maybe you got one they mistakenly hollowed out or something....I mean, they're not boat anchors, but "light" isn't a word that's come up much around here, much less "unnervingly light".

You're right about the plastic knobs. Of course, my cheap old Custom Shop 64 Jazz also came with plastic knobs. Space age design, I guess.

5. You need a lava red one with a single coil and humbucker :D
  6. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I was waiting to pass judgement on the Bongos until I could play one. Well, I did at GC last week. with that thing (it was a dual bucker 5er). The string spacing was a little narrow for slapping, but I've got my BTB400 for that job for the RARE times I need it. In other words....I am seriously GASing for one ( buy recording gear first....GAH!!!!)
  7. even though I'm a big fan of Musicman basses, I just really don't like the looks of the Bongo (don't like the name either).
  8. Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    is it a 16.5mm spacing on the bongo 5 strings?? cos i think it's gonna be hard to slap on that... :(
  9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Heehee, who needs stinkin' Stingrays. I love my Sterling, but am dying for a Bongo. Pant, pant, pant.

(Don't worry - I'll change it back when I get home...)
  10. Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    LOL !!!! who did that to the poll? lol
    the stingray's got no chance now.
  11. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    I dunno, but whoever fixed the poll must have some, errrr, heavy duty fingers.
  12. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm one of those people who get hung up on looks. Can't stand the look of the bongo. But...I did play one at GC and I gotta admit it played and sounded amazing.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sharp, like cowboy said, I find it hard to believe that you played a Bongo and can characterize the tone as 'blah and undefined'.

I played one for two hours(dual humbucker, five string, piezo bridge) and was amazed at the range of tones I could get with it. And it does the vintage 'Ray 4 string tone better than anything except a real vintage 'Ray. Plus about 2 dozen more tones.
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Whoever made the poll like,, i actualy wanted to see how this poll turned out.
  15. JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    yeah thanks for ruining the poll champ :\
  16. I own a Stingray, but never played a Bongo, so I can't vote.

The Bongos look weird on a guitar stand, but look a lot better when you see them being played. I've also heard that they're super comfortable, and this means a lot to me since I bought an Ibanez EDA905F. It looks strange, but you can't put the thing down. I guess form is following function with the Bongos. I'm still afraid to go try one in Sam Ash. I'll probably like it, and then it'll be sleeping at my house from then on.

I don't need another bass.

17. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Of course the Stingray will crush it in a poll on TalkBass.

Too bad the poll didn't have some 4K dollar 852 piece custom bass built with rare Bolivian Sloth Claw splinters and crotch cut jungocaolobo wood with fret markers fashioned from Arlen Roth's molars, because then the Stingray wouldn't have had a chance, either.

Stingray wins because it's an industry standard.

This doesn't mean the Stingray is a better bass, of course. It means the Stingray is better known, trusted, an old friend, we know what it will do and how it sounds.

But it isn't just an idea. It's an actual preamp with adjustments for high and low mids. So whether or not you like the IDEA....what a funny thing to say, now that I look at it again. In any case, for most regular bassists, the 4 band preamp will come in very handy.

Now I must say, if all you do with mids is scoop them out so you can slap your bass, or if you want that "throwing Tic-Tacs down a staircase" FieLdy tone, then forget it. Big thick funky-ass real man bass tone ain't what you want anyway.

Anyway, this is an entirely different preamp than either the 2 or 3 band found on Stingrays. I don't know why I bother to try to explain these things. Glutton for punishment, I guess.

Michael J, mine are pretty comfy although not as lightweight as you'd think - especially the fiver. A good strap is a must for that one.

"Need" is not a word we use when it comes to basses, is it? Otherwise many of us are in deep, deep trouble.

As always, YMMV.
  18. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    I certainly wasn't referring specifically to you, Smash. It was more of a "if the shoe fits" sort of thing, which I thought was fairly clear. If not, I happily clear it up forthwith.

Given the choice between the Stingray and my mythological TB Dream Bass, I'm with you. I'd take the Stingray every time, and in fact, HAVE taken the Stingray many, many times.

I have nothing but respect for Roger, but his tastes don't exactly mirror mine. I am, to be sure, big on simplicity. When the gig calls for it, I am more than happy with my Jazz basses or a Reverend Rumblefish, and those basses are not exactly overly complex.

Nowhere did I suggest that a "mere" 2 band is only good for slapping or FieLdy tone. So much for your contention that I've somehow insulted the history of the electric bass. I don't how you would even get that from what I wrote.

I have my own secret beliefs about 2 band Stingrays, but that doesn't exclude the possibility that another preamp can sound....well, BETTER. Nowhere did I suggest that a "mere" 2 band is only good for slapping or FieLdy tone.

If you cannot understand that nowhere did I even slightly imply such a thing, then I would suggest you review the post.
  19. Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Come on guys!!! lol !! I think the bongo sounds great but maybe one can have that kind of sound with a normal stingray 2 or 3 bands and just use his amp to change the sound. Of course the MM preamp is great but i realize that one day we're gonna have amps with only two knobs and the rest on the bass with 10 knobs! lol!! i dunno... we'll see. :cool:
  20. Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    :cool: that's what i thought also the first time. maybe you read the post too fast.;)