Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

musicman problems!!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by siedow, Dec 29, 2005.

1. siedow

siedow

Jan 17, 2002
    Canada
    Hi, im the owner of a 2003 music man stingray bass.

I have recently noticed there are large "marks" on the neck of the bass. They look like moisture/water marks. The bass when not being played is kept in it's case. The case and room the bass is kept in is not wet or damp. Also, I live in an air conditioned/heated home too.

Please click the link below to see a picture of the mark.

**I have more pictures if anyone wants to see more**

These marks are appearing all over the neck!
    I have contacted musicman and sent them the exact picture that you will see....they believe that it is just natural discoluration from playing.

Im planning to pick up some Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil and high grade lemon oil BUT are these natural marks simply from sweat, playing, ageing, etc.... or do I have a problem on my hands.

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you for your time.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8292/musicman0061wt.jpg

2. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    it looks like the grain of the wood to me, plus the finish may be wearing down a bit because your thumb is constantly kept there, and when you sweat your oils and stuff from your hands wear away the finish. But that's my 2 cents.

Greg

3. just clean it, looks like oil from your thumb

lowsound

4. I don't see a problem at all. keep it clean, oil / wax it, and you're fine.