Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MusicMan quality in a neck-thru

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jester, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Hi everyone,

I've got a Stingray5, but I'm really interested in looking at a neck-thru with a nice wood top. Is there one out there about the same quality and price as the MusicMan? I like the look of the Ibanez SR or Prestige (though the Prestige is not neck-thru) but I haven't played one and I'm not sure about the quality. On the other hand I like the Yamaha TRB series, but it's more money than I ought to or can spend. Don't ask me why I find the MusicMan dissatisfying, I have no idea! It's a great bass, I'm just itchy for some reason. Or am I nuts to even think about this?

2. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Two basses came to mind right away when you said you wanted something of similar quality to your SR5, but was a neck-thru with a nice wood top. Rickenbacker 4003...although it doesn't have a nice wood top...and most definitely a Peavey Cirrus...awesome quality and a choice of some pretty delicious tops :)

3. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Moving to Ibanez is kind of a "downgrade" from SR5. I agree with the Peavey Cirrus option. If Ernie Ball made a neck-thru (birdeye also) + 35" version of the Stingray5 now THAT would be the hell of a bass (also, with an added J neck pickup, it would make it the perfect punchiest-heaviest-grooviest dream bass in the world)!!!!

ANDRUCA

4. hey Jester - I have 2 neck thrus I am thinking about selling or trading - and I live about 2 hours away from you ! email me at jfriar@cogeco.ca

5. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I was also thinking about that too, but they aren't as playable as SR5s or Cirruses (their neck's too thick, man).

ANDRUCA

6. i will second the peavey cirrus. it's a really sweet bass. much has been said about it, and since i work for peavey, i can't praise it too heavily.

i will also offer the ibanez BTB 1005e for your consideration. it's not neck through, but i believe it is a set neck, so it's sort of a cross between a bolt-on and a neck through. i have played these before and love them. last summer i was saving money to buy a bass and my three choices were a sterling, a cirrus, and a BTB 510e or 1000e. i think of all three of those basses on a similar value in build quality with variations on tone and playing features.

robb.

7. Hmm, I think that's personnal preference. I once had an SR5, and I think my Euro 5 is more playable. The neck is a bit thicker, but I think it's also a bit narrower (fingerboard width), so it feels more like a P-bass neck to me. And I have rather small hands.