Musicman replacement pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blaire, Sep 11, 2003.

1. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Did anyone see the advertisment in the latest Bass Player mag about the Basslines musicman replacement pickup? Im just wondering if anyone is using one and if they are actually better sounding than the originals. Has anyone used anything else in their stingrays as far as replacements go? Thanks.:bassist:
  2. 2pods

Mar 27, 2002
    I'm using a SD Basslines pu and preamp in my 20th Anniversary Stingray and am very impressed.

They seem to give a lot more warmth and definition.

The only thing I wasn't that pleased with is the fit.
    I could really do with the cavity slightly routed to get the pu lower.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i LOVE the sound of my MM. that's why i bought it. i'm not sure why anyone would want to change the pickup unless they had to, or didn't really like the sound of the MM.

i don't like the way the bassline MM pickups sound in the warwicks - but that may be a whole nuther story. they sound really sterile and brittle to me.
  4. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    I've heard good things about the alnico version of the Basslines MM pickup. I haven't heard a lot about which preamp it sounds best with (Basslines, original EB or Bart).

I wouldn't replace an original EB pickup, but if I found a nice Stringray with a Bart pickup I would stick the Basslines alnico in.

I've had three '77 stingrays, and I think their magic is more in the preamp than the pickup (or at least a combination of both).

I've had good luck with a '90 EB ray with a 2-band preamp, but it still didn't have the warmth and fullness in the bottom end that the '77-'78s have.

If anyone would verify a combination of pickup and preamp that would duplicate the '77 stingray sound, I would be a very happy person. I just picked up a Basslines alnico MM4 pickup for experimenting.
  5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I don't know, but the MM I once owned was one of the few basses where I was not tempted to change anything. I think it sounds great as is. YMMV of course.