Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman S.U.B. basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Hello :hyper:

Well I was searching for some good basses, I decided to check the musicman basses, but I knew I couldnt afford them because of their high prices, but then I saw the s.u.b. basses, their prices were low compared to other musicmans. Anyone have them or tried them? are they any good? They really caught my eye and I've been thinking about purchasing one. If you played one before please post your comments about it, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

2. SUBS are great basses. Defietly worth every penny and then some

3. That was fast :p, thanks for the comment.

4. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I'd say that an OLP MM copy with upgraded electronics would be a better buy. All you have to do is make sure you play it first as some of them aren't as good as others.

If you find a good playing OLP, upgrade to an Aggie, Bart, or EMG preamp and it'll sound more like a MM Stingray than a SUB, IMHO.

-Eric.

5. Well Erictheez1 :( Unfortunately the country I live in only has fender,yamaha,peavey, and samick guitars/basses, and they are so over priced, a 5 string fender for 3,000 dollars, an banged up used 5 string peavey for 1,500 dollars. Hahahaha an old used zildjian crash cymbal is 279 dollars. :( Everything is so expensive, a crybaby wah is 279 dollars also. So if they had olps they would probably be the price of a musicman sub bass. I dont know I've read reviews about subs and all of them were good.

6. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    The reviews were right. SUB's are amazing. The only thing is the finish is textured, so its not a smooth finish like on fenders. And the nect is painted, witch I like personally. So I Would get one if you can afford it.

7. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    What about buying over the internet. MusiciansFriend offers them for like $200-$250.

-Eric.

8. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Becuase than he gets shipping costs that cost more than the bass most likely.

9. Well I can order one, but I'd rather have a musicman than an olp.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    OLPs sound good and some are decently put together, but a SUB is much, much better built instrument. I suspect that many OLPs sound good, but they probably are not that durable. The SUB is rock solid with a great neck, indestructible finish, and quality electronics. Unlike lower line Fenders, SUBs are very consistent. Unless you just like modding basses, I wouldn't bother with an OLp if you afford a SUB.

11. Cool, thanks for the comments, anyone own here?

12. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I have a SUB 5.

My opinion about it is somewhat what has already been said :
    - The finish is of more than decent quality, though IMO not as pleasant as that of a Ray.
    - It is an excellent bass for the money, robust and with very good tone (actually very similar to that of a "traditional" Ray).
    - I never saw such a good low B at this price (but of course I did not try it out all the basses on the market).
    - The pickguard looks cheap (I finally took it off a couple of days ago, when changing strings).

Though I'll upgrade to something in the higher end, I am very happy with this bass. It is definately worth every penny I spent, and even more. And even when I have a high end bass I think I'll keep it.

Hope this helps,
    Jay

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have owned two but now have a Stingray 5. For a short while I had a four which I sold in order to get a five and it was a great bass. I got it cheap as a GC blowout and it really nailed the Stingray 4 tone. The five, I got used from www.bassnw.com. It was a great bass too, with a fine B string, and good tone. It could do a decent P bass imitation also. I let it go to pay for my Stingray 5 when I saw it on sale new. Both SUBs were very well made, sounded good through my amp and over the headphones, had good tuners, and straight necks. They were fine examples of MusicMan, Ernie Ball quality.

14. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had a SUB5 for a while. Too trebly for me BUT....awesome bass. Great build, great tone (if you like the growl) and a really great B string. The B was just as tight as it's big brother's. I just couldn't get along w/the tone...I like a smoother more fendery tone. But...overall the bass was rock solid and MUCH more solid than any OLP I've played at GC.

15. I had a SUB. It was a nice bass, but I found it very trebly and harsh sounding after a while. Good if you're slapping it around, bad if you want smooth, robust bass.

16. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    well, I've played all of the MM's I can, I've tried over 10 SR's (my mom went to the store and I was bored :p) 4 SUBs, 2 OLPs, and 3 Bongo's (2 with 1 pup and 1 with 2). I also got to try a Silhouette bass, but I didn't like those. All of the other basses are great, the OLP could do with barts, but then again, so could all of the others (I like the sound of them ^^)

So, if you want to get a SUB, then get it, it sounds great, looks like a SR, and pretty much sounds like one too. The only set back might be the paintjob, but that's it.

Hope that helped you a little!

Greg

17. jvb

jvb

Jul 11, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    Terrific bass at a great price. IMHO leaves all the Asian and Mexican instruments in the price range for dead. Certainly the ones I tried (Ibanez, Yamaha, Cort, and a bunch of others).

I use the 4 str passive model in a rock covers band and it works great. I bought it 6 months ago when I switched to bass after nearly 40rs of semi-pro guitar. I didn't want the hassle of batteries, nor the slightly processed (to my ear) tone of active electronics. I play with fingers, and Rotosound flats.

They really only have one tone, but it's a good one. You can't go wrong with one of these.

18. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

I couldn't agree more. I believe that the Sub is far and away the best value out there. As for the looks, I think that they needed to do something to dress it down or it'd get in the way of the higher priced basses that they make. I've plugged in Subs and Stingrays side by side. It's hard to HEAR a lot of difference. For the player on a budget or just looking for something that's not mainstream.........THIS is the bass.

Another note......you can always sharpen up the bass by adding one of Music Man's "nicer" pick guards.

19. Judge2003

Judge2003

Mar 26, 2005
    I have one... It's a VERY nice bass for the price

I'm looking to sell mine though, let me know if you're interested, or if anyone is

20. I once A-B-C'd a 'ray a SUB and an OLP...

The 'ray was definitely the benchmark...no complaints whatsoever about it except the price...$2K + here in Oz for a 'ray :crying: :crying: :crying:

I found the SUB to be lackluster and I hated the painted neck

I found the OLP to have a great tone, a workable build (needed tweaking, but nothing major). I'd suggest changing out the wiring ASAP on one, but the pickup was definitely OK.

For the $$$, I'd go OLP...sorry Ernie Ball...