Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman S.U.B finish: Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 555, Jul 28, 2004.

1. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    I was just wondering if the Musicman SUB bass textured finish is good or bad?

Does it wear out easily, dent easily, scratch easily etc... Main question is really when playing with sweating hands, does it leave a mark on the finish, i had a oiled finish Ibanez SR485 in the past and it had some shiny stain where i rest my fingers after play, made the bass look ugly!

How do you clean the finish on the SUB basses? Obviously you can't use polishes...

Thanks for your time all :smug:

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    These finishes are great precisely because you don't have to do anything to maintaint them. They don't pick up fingerprints and are pretty difficult to scratch.

3. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    That's great to hear! I just found out i have a 90% chance of working so in like a few weeks time i will be able to afford to get a musicman SUB :D

I am just crossing my fingers hoping IF i do get a musicman SUB, the finish won't turn out like this bass after playing...

[​IMG]

Lovely bass but what a shame about the finish :rollno:

4. It wont stain. It's like teflon. Stuff wipes right off.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

what makes the SUB cheaper than the real stingrays?

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Less expensive finish, less expensive body wood, less expensive electronics.

7. But they DO paint the neck... you know, that great option everyone yearns for.

:D

Probably less than top-grade Maple goin into that...

8. Jazzin'

do they still have the same active EQ electronics? just with chepaer stuff?

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The standard model has passive electronics. A 2 band preamp is available as an extra cost option.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    You could also upgrade the electronics with any of the number of MM replacements (Aero, Bartolini, and Seymour Duncan has a whole pickup and preamp system) available aftermarket.

11. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    It's good to hear the SUB's finish is hard to stain and wear, most likely to purchase this bass now since you guys have convinced me the finish is all good :D now i need to decide if i am going to get a red or white colour SUB.

12. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    THEY COME IN WHITE?!??!?! :eek: are you sure?

13. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    I've seen loads of pictures of the SUB in white and the Ernie Ball site says it is available in White too ;) just drool over this mmmmmm

[​IMG]

14. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I finally got around to going to That Place and played some SUBs. Considering I'm Mister MusicMan Person, I figured I owed it to myself to try some out.

The fiver was purdy impressive, considering what it costs. The 4 bangers all needed setups (go figure) but were also nice sounding basses. I think the body finish feels a little odd at first, but like most things, once you get used to it you don't really notice it.

Same with the "painted" necks. Yes, they ARE painted, but you naysayers do realize, I hope, that there is a FINISH applied over the paint?

So you're not touching paint - you're touching finish, just like on, well, name your bass here.

At that price point, if I were going to buy a bass at that price point, I'd sure find myself a SUB as pretty as that white one in the photos.

15. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I played a SUB bass today at my local L&M, and I quite liked it. Very good bass IMO, but does it come in a five string version?

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

16. I remember someone once said here on TB "The SUB was practically so people can leave their StingRays at home and play the gig/jam and not worry about beating it up."

17. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I could take that two ways... are you saying that like a good thing or a bad thing? :)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

18. i think black looks mighty purdy...but i tried was...was cool, but like most people i would prefer the real thing :smug: :p ...but the 4 strings are cool..im not a fan of 5ers period, the dark maroon looks extremly purdy
    [​IMG]

my two favs
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Jazzin'

i agree with your favorites, except its WAYYY nicer when the head matches the body on the honey burst.

20. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    So are you saying the majority of people who have stingrays and a stingray SUB use the REAL stingray for recording and the SUB for the gig work?