Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman S.U.B....Opinions please?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AmplifyYourBass, Mar 10, 2004.

1. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    I wanted the Stingray, but price is an issue. I prefer to buy a brand new bass as opposed to a used one. I got many reccomendations for the S.U.B. I've gone on other sites and managed to find some decent reviews, but none very descriptive for me.

Is this bass TOO heavy?

Is it a good rock and slap bass?

What are the most important pro's and con's I should take note of?

Any general info and reviews would be great. :bassist: :hyper:

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    There are a couple of threads floating around on the SUBs already.. Might want to try a search.

3. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    In my experience with S.U.B. they haven't been all that heavy, they felt lighter compared to the Stingray. I found one that didn't have year old strings on it (I was in GC mind you) and the tone was a very nice, ballsy growly tone. Definite slapper indeed. If you want a good mid-range to cut through I'd say go for it. I couldn't quite get a huge bottom end e.q.'d in, but I only got to spend about 15 minutes with it anyways. I've been contemplating buying one, but I'm still trying to justify spending the money to myself (I dont part very easily with my cash, lol).

Anyways hope I was of some help to you.

4. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    Definitley. Thanks for the info. I'll be able to test it out for myself tommorrow with the small window of free time I'll have going to the shop, but I won't have much time, so I still encourage more people to send their reviews. I'll check for the other topics as well. Thanks a bunch. :hyper:

5. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    First: I own a SUB. That's my disclaimer so you don't think I'm baggin' on the bass. I love mine.

My first impression, when I saw one, "oh, crap. .. .what have they done? It's line-a-bed paint and diamond plate bumper/pickguard, it's like a cross between a musical instrument and a redneck tonka toy!".

When I played one, at first I didn't like it. I was playing through a Gallien Krueger Backline with 10" speakers. Then I plugged into the Backline 115. Much better! And after fiddlin' with the eq I definitely could get a fat warm tone to it. Midrange zing/growl, easily done too. Slap? It's a Musicman! Of course. Pick or fingerstyle, very nice. The neck is a dream on this bass too, I love the finish and shape. Very playable, fast neck without feeling too small.

It isn't a light bass, at least not by my standards. It isn't the heaviest, either, that would be my Ric fiver or Musicvox Spacecadet 12ver. ..:D the slab body can be uncomfortable, but also contributes to the vintage 'ray sound. You'll get used to the body shape after a while. After I fell in love with the tonal palette and playability the finish grew on me, I like the looks now.