1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MusicMan S.U.B. Xo2 4 string bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MusicMan1313, Aug 17, 2003.

1. What do u guys think about the MusicMan S.U.B. Xo2 bass. i really like it. i actually like it better than the 1200$ one becasue i leik the body and the pick guard, the only thing about the music man is they dont have a pickup cloer to the neck to keep my thiumb there, so should i get a thumb rest if i buy thius bass

Heres a link to the bass: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...075744834/g=bass/search/detail/base_id/105173

2. You really should learn to play bass without a thumbrest. I just use the E string on a 4 banger, and no rest when I am playing the E.

3. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    i dont know why people need a thumb rest, it just limits you where you shouldnt have limits.. do you want to play in the same position all the time? i sure as hel dont.. i like to sometimes play right over the pickup and when i do i often rest my thumb on the pickup, otherwise, i usually have my thumb on the E string while i play the A string, on the A string while i play the D string, and on the D string while i play the G string... it is a good habit to get into (IMO)..

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I used a guy's SUB about two weeks ago. It was with a punk band at a house show, so conditions were very cramped. I was not about to even consider taking my Roscoe in there, so I just used my good friend's SUB for our set. In all honesty, the only thing I liked about it was the feel. It was very lightweight, and the frets were dressed nicely, but there was a high one somewhere around 13-14. No big deal there. The finish felt and looked nice. I've not spent much time with a satin finish, but I liked it (when you sweat, it gets smoother, not sticky like the finish on my ATK and Jazz. :D ). The sound, however, was horrible. It was completely dominated by harsh high end. I worked the knobs on the bass best I could, but that didn't seem to help much. I was hoping it was the amp, but I tweaked the head to get the best usable sound, which was still awful.
    I was considering it as a cheaper backup to my Roscoe and Jazz, so I really wanted to like the SUB. I'll still try to spend more time with it, but my first impression of it is not a pleasent one.

5. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

I completely agree with your assessment of the S.U.B. Bass. The S.U.B. feels nice, but sounds like crap. I used to own a 99' Stingray and it sounded MUCH better than the S.U.B. Yes, $500 better! In all honesty even the OLP that I owned for a short time sounded better than the S.U.B. I am not impressed. Besides that, IMHO, the textured finished looks terrible.

In a sharp contrast to the S.U.B., I recently tried out the new G&L L-2000 Series Bass. I own a real L-2000 and I can honestly say the L-2000 Tribute sounded/felt/played just as good. I am seriously considering picking up a L-2500 Tribute. Only $600 for a L-2500 Tribute Premium (w/ Gig Bag). A great deal for an excellent Bass.