Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MUSICMAN SABRE + CUTLASS BASSES ????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arther daily, Oct 27, 2000.

1. Right then guys and gals I know of a MM Sabre and Cutlas 2 bass for sale and I wanna knwo some more about them before I consider going round to check 'em out...

The Sabre
    What sort of dimensions are the neck on these basses?
    I presumed they're simelar to the the Stingray?

The Cutlass
    I undestand this is a graphite neck(?() iS it totally graphite or composite?
    Also what are the necks like?

Generally I just want some opiions on these two old basses? how they sound what they play like? pros and cons?

cheers chaps!

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Sabre is basically a twin pickup StingRay. The controls are a bit different and I've seen ones with both exposed pole pickups (like a Stingray) and ones with covered poles. The neck is the same as a StingRay.

The Cutlass basses (which were made in both single and dual pickup versions) had graphite necks made for MusicMan by Modulus, I believe. Other than the neck they are the same as the wooden neck basses.

Some Sabres apparently were made under Ernie Ball ownership, but the Cutlasses all predate that.

Suprisingly, both Sabres and Cutlasses sell for less than similar vintage StingRays.

3. thanks,

price wise the cutlass was £1000 and the sabre was about £600. pretty good i thought.

i may well check them out!

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I always thought Sabres were waaaay cool. I had a Stingray and always wished I had gotten a Sabre.

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Arthur price wise that look ok

Sabres go for 600 mark and the one cutlass I saw was going for 1300 quid 3 yrs ago. I like sabres but not cutlasses, go for the one YOU like.