1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicman Sabre - fair price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fookgub, May 8, 2006.

1. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I played a Sabre in the local GC on Sunday and thought it was a fantastic bass. I've had a thing for 2 pickup MM basses ever since the Bongo came out. I played the Sabre against an HH Stingray (my current favorite and a bass I'm fairly familiar with), and found I actually preferred the Sabre. To my ears the Sabre had a deeper, smoother sound and an absolutely killer slap tone. It needed a setup pretty badly, but I could tell the playability was there. I'm sure it would absolutely play itself with a decent setup.

Anyway, I'd really like to own it, but they're asking $1200. I can't afford that, but I think I may be able to talk them down. It appears to be an all original pre-EB model, but it's pretty beat. The finish on the body is cracked in a few places and has a couple deep gouges. There is also a large gouge in the back of the neck at the 5th-7th fret area that I would have to have repaired if I bought the bass. The tuners and bridge are fine, but the knobs are wobbly and the pots should probably be replaced. Structurally the bass seemed pretty solid, but I would seriously consider a complete refinish if I bought it. I simply can't justify paying so much for a bass that needs so much work, vintage or not.

So, is it worth it to go back and try to lowball them? What's a realistic price for this bass? I'm thinking $700-800 tops, but maybe I'm way off base. Considering the work I'd do to it and the fact that it's all original, should I be looking for a different bass?

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would be more inclined to go for $900, but this is a rare and discontinued instrument, and the price will not go down in the future. The good thing is that now you can get a HH Stingray or Sterling.

Dang, I had one for $745 back in the 1990's.:bag:

3. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX