Musicman me out!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Irie01, May 29, 2002.

1. Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    Alright, I am about to do it. I found this '77 Sabre that I can not resist getting. I understand that it is pre-EB so it is the 2band eq with the toggle/phase switches.

I have never played or heard a Sabre so I need everyone's input that I can get for this one. I would be dishing out a s###load of money so i want to get as much info as I can get...about $2200. If anyone can lease tell me specifically the differences in sound and playability of the pre-Eb Sabre's and the later 80's let me know. Also I would like everyone's comments and opinions about the Sabre. I currently own a Sterling but I am looking to have just one Musicman that can rip so that I can also later get a nice fender jazz. I play reggae,ska, punk kinda music if that will help.I love that deep bottom end bass:). Help me out everyone.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A Sabre is nice, but 2200$ is a bit steep IMO.
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  4. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I'm with JMX on the price. Can't speak directly to the Sabre, but even a preEB Stingray in nice condition only goes for about $1500.
  5. Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    Mugsy..your the man. That was exactly what I was looking for. I even think that I am now confident with going through with the deal. Despite the very high price, it is afterall a sunburst,blackpickguard,maple neck...."too sweet". I am willing to dish out the loot if it is the bass Ive been looking for. I could always sell my brand new Sterling if I really fall in love with it and make up for the cash. I appreciate you hookin me up with that link. When I get it I will have to let everyone know how it is. I am still open to anyone's comments.
  6. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    No problem, glad I could help. I just sold a fretted Sterling in favor of a fretless Sterling that I kept. They're great basses, but you can always pick up another Sterling. Sabres are harder to come by. The price for yours is pretty steep, but if you think it may be the one and you can afford it, what the hell.
  7. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I played a friends Sabre once and it was hands the best playing and sounding bass I've ever played! And that was 15 years ago! It had a maple neck w/rosewood fingerboard and a tobacco sunburst maple body. It was in your face! Why MM doesn't keep making Sabres is a get more variety of tones than a Sterling or a Stingray.