1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musicman Sabre, like a G&L L-2000?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Surprise Panda!, Jul 17, 2008.

1. They look the same to me, and it seems they have the same electronic layout and switches.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    No, they don't sound alike at all. The Sabre is very much like the current H/H Stingrays and Sterlings. Look for a Youtube clip of The Brothers Johnson playing Stomp or the clip of Armand Sabal-Lecco playing with Stanley Clarke to know what a Sterling sounds like. I also think that Tony Levin played a Sterling on Sledgehammer too.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    About 5 years ago or so I compared my 1983 L-2000 to about 3-4 Sabre's and all the Sabre's were very, very thin sounding.

4. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    I don't agree at all. Are you sure you aren't thinking of the Sterling? Where'd you possibly find a place that had 3 or 4 Sabres to try out 5 years ago? They've been discontinued for years.

I own both basses. The biggest difference is the Sabre has a fairly useless phase switch that puts the PUPs out of phase, giving you a honky tone. IMO, not very useful, though with the proper EQ and the string mutes engaged can get very close to an upright tone. Mine has a 2 band active EQ with treble and bass boosting, so I don't see how anyone can say they sound thin, since it's essentially a 'Ray with 2 PUPs. If anything, the L2000 has much hotter PUPs. Sabres do, however, possess one of the best slap tones you'll ever encounter anywhere.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That's what's great about opinions, we don't all have to agree. :)

I'm not sure, what's a Sterling look like? ;)
    MusicManSterlingBlackRW.jpg
    MusicManSterlingMaplea.jpg
    MusicManSterlingSunburstRW.jpg

You're assuming that I tried all the Sabre's at on time.... I really, reallllly wanted a Sabre really bad a few years ago and I was hunting. Vintage shops, newspaper classifieds, etc.... Living in NYC, if you look hard enough, you'll find anything. I didn't buy one cause all the ones I compered to the L-2000 (that I still own for 13+ years) blew them out of the water.

6. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I may be wrong, but isn't the bass used in Ozzy's 'Crazy Train' clip a Sabre?

EDIT: Just looked, and yes, it is. :p

7. I bought a MM Sabre back in '79' after I played my Ric 4001 to the point that it fell apart, literally. I recorded the Steel Breeze album with it back in '82' and during the recording of the bass, it had the worst grounding problem - bad buzzing hum:scowl:. They ended up wiring it up with a wire clothes hanger, and I don't remember how they did it, but it got rid of the hum. The bass had alot of super high end and low end, but lacked any midrange punch, it had much more of a scooped sound. Back then I was playing thru an Acoustic 360 and in mid '82' changed to something entirely different - EV keyboard cabs w/18, 10" vented midrange speaker, piezo with BGW, Yamaha power amps, Roland preamp and the usual rack effects. It was a pretty decent setup. Here's a pic of me playing the Sabre thru the Acoustic -:rolleyes:
    100_2201.jpg

8. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice shirt bro. :)

9. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I agree they sound different, but didn't think the Sabre sounds thin at all. The only way I could get my former pre-EB Sabre to sound thin was to use the phase switch. Edit: of the two, I like the midrange on the L-2000 more though.

Both great basses IMO.

M

10. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I've owned probably 50-60 basses in the past 10 years. My '79 Sabre still beats out most of my basses in terms of growl and punch. Our soundguy always asks when I'm going to gig with it. Sadly, a drunk chick almost knocked it over a couple years ago, so I'm real cautious when and where I play it.

I agree, with the phase switch in the wrong position, it sounds thin and well, useless. SO I certainly don't agree with the thin sounding comments, but again, that's me.

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I have a Sabre. I also owned an HH Ray, and they sound nothing alike, the Sabre was way deeper...maybe more scooped sounding, if you will. It also sounded nothing like the L2000 I had briefly.

It must say something about that Sabre...since I no longer own, nor desire to own those other models of basses again, but that Sabre ain't going nowhere.

12. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I had a Sabre and an L-2000; the L-2000 just didn't sound or play as good to me.

L2000-01.jpg
    DSCN2167.jpg

13. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I've got an L-2000, a Sabre, and a Stingray HH. They sound different, but they all sound & play great!

The L-2000 is definitely related to the Sabre but there are lots of differences.

The L-2000 pickups are closer together, the electronics can be used active or passive, the tone controls are cut only, the pickups are ceramic/steel and have a series/parallel switch.

The Sabre pickups are farther apart with alnico poles and are wired parallel only. Tone controls are boost/cut, and there's no passive switch.

Nonosaber likes this.
  14. phunku

phunku

Jan 9, 2008
    London, England
    ive been playing a Sabre recently, and there is no way that it is thin sound, IMO, i found, somtimes i had 2 cut bass! the Eq on the bass is damm powerfull, and they interconnect. so if u boost som bass, the treble control will react diffently

awesome looking and playing basses!

EDIT: i tried out a HH singray, abd ididnt like it at all, just cudnt get any low end, or any low end campared 2 the Sabre. I guess the Stingray would be a bit more versatile, but no bass!

15. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Got both.

The Sabre is a different beast and if you like the Louis Johnson Stomp sound that comes dead on from my Sabre running the neck pickup.

Tried several of the EBMM dual pickup jobies and none work for me like the Sabre does. Biggest grip is the weak D and G string and on my Sabre the D/G are probably stromnger than the E/A.

The L-2000 has more potent pickups and probably inherently more aggressive. All three switches of the L2K have useful significant changes in the sound.

The Sabre Phase switch is useless and the "bright" is so subtle as to be useless. The pickup selector is the only effective switch. Dial back the tone controls and find lots of variation. However IMHO the G&L has more usable adjustments in it but can't do some of what the Sabre can.

I really wanted the EBMM models to be able to replace the 12 lb Sabre but they can't touch it.

The Sabre is the only MM bass I have kept.

Jim

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021