1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicman sabre question/request

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nalapit13, Jan 27, 2012.

1. nalapit13

nalapit13 official player and catcher of bass Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Middlesex, NJ
    Would anyone who has a musicman sabre like to take some measurements and pics for me an send them my way?

I just purchased a sabre. It has Bartolini jazz pickups in it. I would like to get the correct pickups made for it. The body is routed for the jazz pickups so I can't get a true measurement.

I need the length and width of the covers, and the string spacing measurements over the magnets.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please pm me and I will give u my email.

Thanks.

Ron

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I no longer have a Sabre, so I can't give you any dimensions, but I do know this: The Sabre pickup is the same size as a G&L MFD. Even the screw holes line up. The only difference is the mounting screw tabs. I no longer have an L=2000, but I'm sure someone here does.

Also, you should have put this thread in the pickups/electronics forum.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Threads involving parts/accessories for a specific type of non-generic bass stay in the Basses forum.

4. daniel9.7

daniel9.7

Nov 11, 2007
    Low-Cal
    One thought: You may want to buy a Sabre pickguard from somewhere such as pickguardheaven.com. Since jazz pickups are longer than Sabre pups, a pickguard will hide the extra routing space that the jazz pickups will leave behind. Plus, this will give you the exact outline (or should) of the pickup dimensions. Also, using a search of TB classifieds should give several photos of previously sold Sabre basses. I can PM you some photos however, if this doesn't don't work.
    Good luck!

5. nalapit13

Jul 6, 2007
    Middlesex, NJ
    I can get the pickguard. But I still need the string spacing over the poles.

6. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I have a couple of Sabres...

Pickup pole measurements C/C :

13/16 and 2" 1/8 ... In line (string to string) the C/C is 23/32. String spacing at the bridge is 19mm. I measured at the set of poles closest to the neck and got around 17mm string spacing.

The pickup cover is 1 5/8" X 3 3/16" (does not include the screw down tabs)

I have a G&L MFD in a drawer if you still want that measurement.

I hope that's enough info. Now where's the pics!? :D

7. nalapit13

Jul 6, 2007
    Middlesex, NJ
    Thanks for the info!!! I'm going to get in contact with Larry from aero with this info. If he needs anything else I'm going to drop u a line

Pic as requested. It's a 79. Low serial number I think. 1630.

3d266e0f.

8. handofseven

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Nice! I have one just like it, though with a lot more "mojo" I'm sure. :D

That actually looks really nice with the single coils... I'm glad I could be of help. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

9. How does it sound with the J's?

I changed the 'phase' and 'bright' switches in mine to coil taps hoping to pull jazz like tones out of it... It still sounds like a Sabre. :)

10. nalapit13

Jul 6, 2007
    Middlesex, NJ
    It sounds awesome with the j pickups. I can't even put it into words. It's like a jazz on steroids. It's cool sounding.

11. handofseven

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Having custom pickups made sounds expensive... An L2000 style MFD package might be cheaper... You'd have to have the pickguard made to suit though...

12. nalapit13

Jul 6, 2007
    Middlesex, NJ
    There r a set of L2000 pickups on eBay right now. I thought about buying them. But I know I'll wind up putting aero pickups in it. I put aeros in every bass I plan on keeping. This ones a keeper.