Musicman Sabre stuff

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chrisrm, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT

I just picked up a 1979 Musicman Sabre. While it plays ok and sounds fine, it definitely looks as though it has
    survived the war !!

I'm debating whether or not I'm going to keep it. I could just play it as is, or "restore" it, though when
    I bought it I was not looking for a project, hence my thoughts of selling it.

If I do keep it and decide to fix it up, (I'm not the type that knows when to leave well enough alone !) I'll have
    a pretty good idea on what to do with the neck and body. My question is the pickups.
    The pole pieces (exposed) are quite corroded, the covers have light surface scratches, and various other gouges.
    Are these pickups the same size as Stingray pickups ? Would a set of Basslines fit ?? Does anyone know of
    someone who makes replacement pickups for the Sabre, or could do a
    pickup "restoration" ?

Next, does anyone know of a source for a Sabre pickguard ? Mine looks like the pickup covers !!

I also need a pickup mounting screw (I'm missing one) and the threaded insert and screw for the battery cover.
    I've tried my local music shop, Allparts, Warmoth and Carvin and haven't been able to find anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chris
  2. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    Unless you are really in love with the bass I wouldn't spend the money to restore it. I would either sell it or have a "relic" bass.

The pickups are smaller than stingray pickups, and there is no source for replacements that I know of.

There are replacement pickgaurds avaliable, but I cannot remember the name of whom is making them. I will try to find that info for you.

I would try your local nut/bolt/screw shop in town, they should have some screws and inserts that will work for you.

p.s. what color is/was it? I like the old Sabre's.
  3. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    Thanks for the info. I haven't made it to the local
    hardware store yet !! It was a natural finish, but
    it has darkened considerable with age. FWIW,
    my local luthier said the same thing, not to
    restore it, it would lose value.