Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman Sabre too quiet?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Caca de Kick, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Over the weekend I picked up a (pre-ErnieBall) early 1980 Musicman Sabre, sweet bass, and great sound.
    I'm wondering if I'm having a small issue with it right now....
    I tried adjusting the pickup height to match the volume level of my other active basses, but the bass is still too quiet. On it's own it sounds killer, just not near loud enough.

Apparently I need to start with my multi-meter and soldering gun and make sure everything is wired properly and works right. I do know the "bright" toggle switch is inop.
    But does anyone know what the pickups' resistance spec's should be on these?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    By chance have you checked the battery?

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm purchasing a 10-15 year old Squier P-Bass, a 10-15 year old Fender Strat and a 10-15 year old Ibanez guitar for $100.

I know it's a good deal, but I'm wondering when the quality of Squier went to the poo it is today. They were good in the late 80's, right? When did it become the crapshoot it is today?

4. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Don't think you are going to get much response here... subject is the Sabre! ;)

5. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I've owened a few sabres and found them to be about average volume level to most.Maybe a battery. Do you have the mid switch on or off?

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Whoops. My mistake :)

7. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yup, I already installed a new battery.

Mid switch? I take it, it's the middle one...the first is pickup selector, the middle is mid switch, and the third is the bright switch, right? I have the middle switch facing rearward-it is loudest that way.

All in all, the controls seem to be nearly identical to my G&L 2500, but nowhere near the volume when you A-B them.

8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    If it's just a toggle, the middle switch should be a phase switch.

Schematics are here:
    http://www.ernieball.com/mmonline/techinfo/
    Yours should be the one at the bottom. The bright switch is kind of subtle. You can have it turned up with the treble all the way up, turn the knob down, flip the switch, and turn it all the way up and you might hear a slight difference. or it may be out.

In terms of volume, I think of the Sabre as "normal" and the G&L as "loud" so it may just be what you're used to.

Marshall

9. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Thanks for the info....

Last night I checked everything. The only thing I found was a pickup solder joint barely hanging on by one strand, so I fixed that but everything else checked out fine. I checked the dc resistance of the pickups and they're both 2.2, does anyone know if that seems within spec?

smperry,
    I think your right about what I'm used with "modern actives". At first I thought it was just the MM is of old skool design too, but my '79 Ibanez Musician also has way more volume like modern stuff, but I guess it is what it is.
    Last night I lowered the pickup height back down and tried it out plugged in the normal unpadded input like my passive basses...seems to be alot better.

10. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Okay, with the pickups lowered back down, I took the Sabre back to rehersal last night and A/B/C'd it with my G&L2500 and 62RI Jazz. Smperry is right, I ran the Sabre in the passive input like the Jazz and the volume level was perfect!
    Thanks again.

11. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Cool. Enjoy!

Marshall

12. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Just something to keep in mind for the future...

As a general rule, I always try my active basses in the passive/unpadded input first. If it doesn't clip or overload, then it's perfectly fine to use that way, and will give you more headroom. I've owned a good number of basses, almost all active, and I've never had a problem using the passive input on any amp.

The only time I would picture myself using the active input/pad would be if I was using 18v or 27v electronics.

13. Not that it has diddly to do with the thread...
    Ummm... no. But they were fine for what they were, affordable 'copies' made under license. Cheap enough that Fender didn't want to put the Fender name on them.