1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musicman Sabre vs EBMM Bongo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nightvision, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Hello everybody,
    I know this basses are differents animals but, it's Musicman, active and double humbucker...
    What do you think about theses?
    Vintage vs Modern vibe

I don't know if I have to wait and try to find to used Sabre, or buy a Bongo? I like the Bongo more than the Stingray, and the only one Sabre I'v tried blow me away.

I think it's the first thead like that. :hyper:

2. boyet

boyet

May 15, 2007
    Miami
    I'm not a fan of vintage electrics so this will definitely sound bias. Go for the Bongo HH. :smug:

3. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    I love my Bongo HH.

4. The pickup positions are different. Sabre can be VERY bass heavy.

I love it!

5. I know the electronics and woods are different but how is the sound of the Bongo compared to the Sabre?
    Can we have a Sabre slap sound on the Bongo?

6. Bump

7. boyet

boyet

May 15, 2007
    Miami
    I really can't answer any of your question for the reason that I've never played a Sabre and I don't know how it sounds...but because the Bongo is so freakin' versatile, it can probably mimic the slap tone of the Sabre. You can try it yourself an do the comparison.

8. I really wanted to do that but a MM Sabre is hard to find... I tried a Bongo and love it, maybe there are TBers who owned the two models...

9. My Sabre is 31 yrs old and was the first active bass I ever played. It still has a modern tone to it, very bass heavy with a distinct high end sound. I've only played Bongo's in GC so my experience with them is very limited, but they are very modern sounding also.

10. I owned a Bongo 5HH and currently own a 1991 EBMM Sabre with the 5-way switch. As Vin*Tone stated, the Sabre is very bass heavy, but is essentially a 2-band stingray with an additional pickup. My favourite setting is the bridge pickup alone (ie a 2 band Stingray), but the other 4 positions all sound good.

The Bongo 5 HH I owned was a total tone machine. I find the Bongo to be a very aggressive sounding bass, but a very versatile one at that.

I think the Bongo is my favourite EBMM bass and I currently own 4 of the company's basses (fretless Stingray 4, 30th Anniversary Stingray 4, 1991 Sabre and Dargie Delight II fretless Big Al)... I still can't quite remember why I sold the Bongo. I must have had a brain fart.

Buy the Sabre if you want something a little less common and funkier looking than a standard Stingray, but buy the Bongo if you really want to make a statement and own an aggressive tone machine.

Cheers

Andy

11. What Spanky (Andi) said. He's right. Get a Bongo and be fine!

12. r_a_v

r_a_v

Oct 7, 2015
    Hi Andy,

Since a couple of days I do own a 91 Sabre myself, love it!

But I think my bridge pickup is broken, the 2nd coil (near the neck). When it should be activated and tapping on the 2nd coil I do not hear anything.

Or is it meant to be this way? Can you tell me that?
    Do you have a elecrical wiring schema of how it is meant to be?

Kind regards,
    Erik

13. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I've never played a Sabre, but I do own HH Sting Rays and a Bongo. Like the Sabre the Stingray has Alnico p'ups and an ash body. The Bongo has neodymium p'ups and a basswood body, plus the p'ups are closer together and nearer the bridge due to the 24-fret neck. The result is the Sting Ray is warmer and beefier than the Bongo. The Stingray also gets the nice mid scoop with both pickups going. The Bongo is cleaner and brighter. It also has a p'up blend, which offers more options, but won't do the two-p'up mid-scoop thing. Bongos also have 4-band preamps; again, more versatile in many ways, but hard to do a mid scoop or mid boost. I cannot get my Bongo to approximate my stingray with both p'ups full. It just does not do that.

So, it depends what you're looking for.

14. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Uhh, this thread is 7 years old...

15. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Doh!

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020