1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MusicMan Sabre vs G&L L-2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zachoff, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Just got turned on to the old MusicMan Sabre basses... Seems they look an awful lot like an L-2000. Are they similar in tone or how the controls work? Now I'm looking for a Sabre to play. Great, more GAS.

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    They are not the same. I had an '80 Sabre and a '91 L-2000 and the Sabre was way more to my liking; powerful, aggressive tone and a slim neck. The L-2000 sounded fine, but it seemed weak and muted compared to the Sabre. Also, I disliked the fat, slow neck on that thing; My friend had a '94 L-2000 with the thin neck and it was pretty awesome, and the playability of it actually made it easier to get a more aggressive tone out of it, but still the Sabre was my favorite.

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It's the other way around....the Sabre existed before the L2000. Created by the same guy though!
    Different pickup placement, as well as the Sabre having alnico pickups while the L2000 having ceramic.