Musicman Sabre

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ceremony74, Sep 27, 2004.

1. ceremony74

Sep 27, 2004
    what´s the average price in the US of 1979 Musicman Sabre in good conditions?
  2. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    600 to 800. 650-750 is a good range. Great basses. I could get like a chorus type sound on the highs with the righ eq. But I hear the bongos can do all that and more.
  3. But bongos are ugly, I've seen a sabre and it's a pretty bass!
  4. Ya know...there's something to be said about those MM basses of the 70's. Compare an old Stingray w/ a new one, and I think you'll notice an appreciable difference (especially the G-string) - old one's, by far. Wouldn't even consider purchasing anything later than 1980. God, how high were they when they dreamed up that body profile???!!! Quite frankly, I think they could've made a much bigger profit with a re-introduction of the old Sabre. (MO, the best bass MM ever produced.) And PLEASE let me know if you find on in decent shape for $650-$700! My last Sabre was immaculate, but set me back $900...and I felt, worth every penny.
  5. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Are you sure it was a Sabre?
  6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Nostalgia's a wonderful thing... often leads to inaccurate opinions.

Modern two band Stingrays are, in terms of electronics, essentially the same as pre-EB Stingrays. The newer ones certainly feel different because of the contoured body, oiled neck and more consistent QC, but I bet you'd have difficulty differentiating between them by sound.

Three band stingrays sound a bit different due to the high-pass filter. I've heard a number of people complaining about having a weak G string on theirs. I had the same problem and cured it by using the eq more intelligently (less of the extreme settings) and by adjusting the pickup correctly.

I've A/B'ed a number of 3 bands vs 2 band pre-EBs and prefer the newer ones.

Well, you're missing out... why don't you try a few?

Whereas I think the Bongo looks great and the Sabre looks ugly... :meh:
  7. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    There is a BIG difference in tone from a true"79 Sabre (like mine) and the Stingray.Although both of then have the 2band eq the Sabre "dominates in the Low/Low mids department and also the G isn't thin,and also it doesn't fall off the side of the fretboard while playing like the EB'S do.It also has cleaner highs than the Stingray.
  8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Of course there is. I was answering this assertion...

The G isn't thin on EB stingrays either.

Never experienced that on any of the Stingrays I've played.
  9. check your PM - there is a local seller located nearby with one for sale :)
  10. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I would never consider selling my '79 Sabre which has been my main axe since I bought it. $600-800 would be a steal IMO; they should command much more based on build and tone quality. To my, it's priceless.
  11. Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I've never played a Sabre, but the way the electronics are set up is intriguiging.

FWIW, I think the Bongo is by far the best thing MM has ever made, and I love the way it looks. I'm going to get one very shortly, though it may jeapordize my relationship with my Stingray and Sterling.
  12. Oh I might find one on the cheap that someone needs to off in a hurry, but I thought I got a good deal on mine for $900!
  13. #1 Opinions are not designated as either 'accurate' or 'inaccurate'...they're just that - an opinion...based on an individuals experience. C'mon, this is 5th grade common sense stuff...shouldn't have to be explained.

#2 If you've heard 'a number of people complaining' regarding the G string on their EB instruments...let me ask; how many complaints do you need to hear before you begin to conclude that there just might be something indicative? And if you think that EQ-ing an instrument to counter a dead side of the neck is a valid course of action...well, you just go ahead and keep thinkin' that. I'd prefer to have an instrument that acoustically has it together, rather than attempting to cover a flaw using EQ.
    Not that eq has much to do w/ a dead G string, but for the sake of argument...let me see if I can get something else straight. For those players who prefer their bass and/or treble in the 'extreme', (I gather from what you've written) you are concluding either they (the players) are un-intelligent OR the instrument has the potential, by virtue of its electronics, of producing un-intelligent tone settings? By that very logic, you've alienated a lot of pro-EB players or have ceded that the EB electronics, are potentially....un-intelligent. Which is it?

#3 Your quote, "Well, you're missing out... why don't you try a few?"...assumes I have not. If you read the should have figured out; not only have I 'tried a few' ; but that I have owned 'a few'.

To conclude; my opinion on the G string mystery: (and for dlloyd...a quick refresher: an opinion is not a byproduct of a reproducable scientific procedure...just a simple hypothesis.)

Wood takes time to settle. That said, I did not own a MM in 1976 to hear/feel what it sounded like brand new, off the shelf. I would venture to say that the same '76 bass sounds better today, vs. back then. Because the instrument has settled in. Same w/ an old Jazz or P. I will say, I DO think the humbucker on the MM's tone center is not as 'forgiving' regarding dead spots regardless of the age of the instrument.
    So experiment yourselves...grab down a brand new Fender J or P and a brand new EB and I think you're gonna find a new Fender has a subtle deadness on the G (B flat, B, most likely C or C#)...then try the EB (set flat). And if you thought the Fender's was noticable, you'll should really take notice (same notes) w/ the EB. Oh, and go ahead and try to even things out w/ p/u adjustment...but now you might have a dead E or the thing is screaming at the 12 fret on the D or G, etc.
    But don't take my JUST an opinion.
  14. A sabre, isn't that the double pickup version of the Stingray?
  15. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    this bass is not ugly.
  16. I would love to find a Sabre to make my very own. YUM.
  17. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    I'm pretty sure cutting all the bass and boosting treble to full isn't the best thing to do in most situations...
  18. Touche` that would be truly unintelligent, BUT...some may consider extreme settings to be, full on bass and treble, yes?
    Not that I'm a RHCP/Flea fan, but I remember somewhere reading...he goes 'wide open (including bass and treble)...adjustments are made at the amp'. Louis Johnson said similarly...because he liked to 'squash the hot signal' with a compressor...and running the bass wide open will have the compressor kick in faster, rather than sending a soft signal'. I'd take what I read from these guys w/ a grain of salt, but I do know a fair number of MM/EB players that run full on bass w/ a 1/4 turn back on the treble.
    My point in my last post was: EQ is not the answer to a dead spot on the neck. Lloyd thinks that 'intelligent' EQing and a little adjustment on the p/u is the answer. It may make the anomaly minimally less obtrusive...but there's still a problem existing.
  19. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Awesome basses. I would love to own one. I think the most obvious point that everyone is missing here is that the Sabre was the precursor to the G&L 2000. As I recall, this was Leo's last design before selling MM to EB. COnceptually, the L-2000 is a very similar bass, and Leo prodiced it immediately after founding G&L.

I played on long ago and loved it. I love my 1991 Signature L-2000. It would be great to do an A/B comparison. Do any TB-er have access to both to do so???

My $.02.
  20. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Lets not all knock the Bongo either. I hear Hillary Duff's bassist plays one. :bassist:

But in actuality, I do think that of all the MusicMans and Ernie Ball's , the Bongo offers the best tonal quality and options.