Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman Sabre

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr.SixString, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    I just got a call from my friend who wants to sell me his pre-EB Musicman Sabre (natural), he said the bass is in PERFECT condition, all original including the hard case. he wants $1500 for it, is it a good deal? I've never played a Sabre bass before, are they much different than Stingrays? thanks for any opinion.

2. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Worcester, ma
    Product Manager, Akai Professional
    they go for about $700 on ebay, but those usually have play wear. I would say $950 to $1000 for a mint one would be a good deal.

3. is it worth that much? probably... would i spend that much? nope... some go for 700 on ebay... thats true but plenty go for around a grand as well and those usually have wear... if you have the money to spend and you like it try to cut a deal... buying something in person is worth a bit of extra cost because ive bought a whole lot of basses on ebay and not once have i gotten one that didnt have some unexpected unpleasant surprise

4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    The sabre and the stingray are two different animals. The rear pickup placement is not the same. The sabre I owned weighed a ton (12lbs). $1500 is too much.

5. I agree that $1,500 is way too much. I think $1,500 is a lot for any used bass.

Check it out; you may like its sound, then again you may not. Either way, I'd say go $1,000 at the most.

Just my $.02

Good luck.

Mike