Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MusicMan Silhouette

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MJB, Aug 25, 2001.

1. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I did a search but not much info on this 6 stringer. Who's played one and what was your opinion?

Thanks.

2. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Never played one, but seen one and it cost about £1500. Alot more than a Stringray or Sterling.

I would rather spend my money on a Fender VI bass.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Seeing as how it's a baritone guitar, you might have more luck on guitar forums. Cool guitar, though. If I were to buy another guitar, THAT would be it.

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    It is not a baritone guitar. It is tuned a full octave below a guitar.

Short course in baritone guitars at the link below.

http://www.guitarworld.com/gearreviews/gear/1999/9903_sound2.html

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It is tuned like a tic tac bass, like the old Danelectro six and the Fender Bass VI.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I also consider a Fender Bass VI a baritone guitar, so by those standards, yes, it is one! I know what they are, but I just call the same, even if they are a full fourth/fith below (depending on your idea of baritone tuning) a baritone guitar.

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Calm down now, Angus.

And, I agree... You'd have better luck on other forums. This is a bass forum, no offense... Not a baritone, or whatever.

And to embellisher? There's two Danelectro 6 strings... One's a baritone, one's a bass.

The bass has a tight string spacing, but it's a bass. The baritone isn't arguable... It's called "Baritone".

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Uh...calm down? What?

9. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    :D You guys are too much! I know this is a bass forum, I'm a bass player. You can choose to call this instrument Carolyn if you wish but it IS a bass.

The comparison of the Dano models is a case in point, the baritone is a fifth below guitar, the bass is a full octave below.

Jack Bruce played a Fender VI bass on the first Cream album, there was no other bass, so obviously this can fill that role.

I don't pose this question on a guitar forum because:

1. It is not a guitar, it's a bass.
    2. My question would be responded to by guitar players, not bass players.

I understand that this instrument won't sound like a Precision, I've got one of those when I need that sound.

BTW, no offense taken at any of your responses, at least you responded.

:D

10. embellisher

:rolleyes:
    I am referring to the original Danelectro Tic Tac bass.

A 6 string bass, tuned just like a guitar, one octave down, with tight string spacing.

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Never heard of it, although it sounds fairly interesting.

12. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    so a "real" bass is 2 octaves below a guitar? 3? I have tried to play matching notes on a bass and a guitar.. but the tone is so different i can't tell when they're the same octave.....

13. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Bass is one octave lower. That's why the silhouette is a bass. A baritone guitar is a fifth lower typically, between a bass and a guitar.

14. embellisher

A typical 6 string contrabass guitar(as envisioned by Anthony Jackson) is tuned BEADGC.

A 6 string bass guitar, as invented by Danelectro in 1956 is tuned EADGBE, like a guitar but one octave lower.

A regular 4 string bass guitar(invented by Leo Fender) is tuned like the first 4 strings of a guitar, one octave lower EADG.

A baritone guitar, also invented by Danelectro in the late 50's, is tuned a 5th lower than a regular guitar AECGDA.

Here is a link to a pretty accurate Bass History page. http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/bass/1778/timeline.html

15. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    so does that make the silhouette a short scale 6 string bass? if that's the case, the strings are either super thick or super floppy? or is there somethign else i'm missing?

16. I´m not pretty sure, but as far as I know, the silhouette is like a standard guitar but tuned an octave lower. I think it´s tuned EADGCF or EADGBE an octave lower than a guitar (not BEADGC), but is short scale.. and that´s all.. i guess

The strings ont need to be very thick, for the neck is not as long as a medium or long scale bass.-..

17. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    embellisher has his facts straight.

Thank you! :D

Here is a link to the instrument in question.

http://www.ernieball.com/musicman/basses/silhouette_bass/index.html

The strings are quite light. You can find them on the Ernie Ball website as well. The scale length at almost 30" is pretty typical of short scale basses. My Starfire is 30.75" and my EB-O is in the same neighborhood.

18. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    :confused: ok now i am confused... so on the silhouette, the lowest string is the same frequency as the lowest string on a 4 string bass.. .but the string is shorter AND thinner?? this is not physically possible... if the normal bass guitar is one octave lower than a normal guitar... and so is this silhouette, there must me somehing that i'm missing....

Think about it.. shorter scale, thinner strings.... same frequency? The only possibility is MUCH less tension, but the strings would be so floppy they'd be unplayable.. someone please set me straight on this.

19. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Scale length and tuning are not the only factors that affect string tension. Try a set of 34" Fender flats and then try a set of 34" TI flats. The short scale GHS pressurewounds I have on my EB-O are higher tension and lighter gauge than the TI flats on my Precision bass. You're thinking is correct, shorter scale means less tension, but how the strings are made also comes into play.

20. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    BTW, forgot to add...

I've played one for about 5 minutes in a guitar store when they got one in (broke it in for em :)). They sold it later that week I think. Of course, they put it in the guitar section, despite tuning, which is why I would consider it a guitar (and it's general usage).

I didn't play it plugged it...but it was really comfortable! Sounded ok, as far as I could tell. Didn't get much chance to play it, though.

It's still a guitar to me! :)