Musicman Singray or Modulus Flea?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkSlapRumblefish, Apr 11, 2001.

1. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm considering buying a Natural Velvet finished Stingray (4 string) for about $799. I think these are supposed to retail for around $1700 with that finish, so I would be getting a pretty good deal, but there is another opportunity as well... A Silverflake Modulus Flea bass for $899. Both are in mint condition with no flaws, but I need some input on what others think would be best. I play mostly funky basslines with rock and reggae mixed in... so what do you think would be a better bass to get? Thanks- FunkSlap
  2. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Do not buy the Modulus...I love Modulus basses, but the Flea model is weak, sonically. I had a 5 string for while and ended up returning it. I later purchased a MM 5 string that I loved, but sold it to get a Zon bass. Stick with the original, GET THE STINGRAY!!!!!!!!!!
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd have to go with Phogchris...get the MM...they are a very decent and versatile bass.
  4. not played the Flea bass, and i own a 4 string ray so my opinion isnt really worth all that much...

but, you dont want a bass with someone elses name on it... that's gimp!
  5. Go with the Ray. Classic looks and a classic sound that can be used in a variety of situations. The Flea basses I've seen have been too gaudy looking for my tastes but I'm a little biased having just picked up a 78 Stingray 2 weeks ago.
  6. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    Stingray would be the better choice.Especially with that price and color.
  7. I've never played the Flea Modulas and I've only played the Stingray a few times in music stores.

One thing I can say is I thought Flea's tone was killer during the 'Mother's Milk' period and is somewhat lacking on their more recent albums.

I'd go with the Stingray.:)
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Another vote for the Stingray. Modulus basses are nice, but the necks are sort of an acquired taste. It's better to have a bass that's not too associated with a single artist anyway.

Will C.:cool:
  9. mark

Apr 7, 2000
    As far as Flea's tone being lacking on his more recent albums that has nothing to do with Flea using a Modulus. He doesn't record with the modulus. It is merely a stage bass so to speak. The tone that you are hearing on their new albums could be the product of one of miriad of basses Flea uses to record (ie. Alembic, MusicMan, Spector, Wal) Not to say that I'm backing the Modulus, just offering a little defence where it's deserved. I too think the clear choice here is the Ray. I love the slap tone of the Flea but it's not fat enough for other stuff.

10. I wasn't sure whether he was using the Modulas to record but I know he was using the Stingray alot during 'Mother's Milk' and I think that's his best recorded tone.
  11. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Flea HAS used the Flea Bass as his primary recording bass for "Californication."
  12. mark

Apr 7, 2000
    I'm not going to contradict you but can you tell me where you got this information?
  13. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    mmmmmmmmmmmmm natural velvet
  14. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I know that Flea played a Modulus Flea Bass during the "Californication" sessions from various articles and in-studio pics.
    For a couple tracks he used an old Fender Jazz (196?), but not Californication, as in the music video, that was actually recorded with a Flea bass. The only track played with a that made it to the final album is "Easily".
  15. some tracks on californication definitely sound like the Modulus to me
  16. I havent tried the modulus so i cant comment. but i can ona stingray.

GET THE STINGRAY! i know some people whod give up a kidney and then some for a 799 on a stingray with natural velvet finish. mmmmmmm stingray....
  17. Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    I'd have to put in a vote for the Stingray. I haven't played a Modulus and the Stingray is my dream bass that I shall own probably the day I die :), so my opinion probably doesn't count too much. But I'm still gonna have to say the Stingray. :D
  18. It has everything to do with his Modulus bass, it's not fat sounding enough and is the reason why you put:

'Purple Stain' from Californication

and then

'Apache Rose Peacock' from Blood Sugar Sex Magik

And you go.. Wow NOW that's fat!!
    Flea could of try a Wal again for that these funky things. The Flea Bass doesn't have real guts.

19. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I'd buy the stingray personally. The flea bass is a different animal depending on which pickup it has in it. The fleas with Lane Poors sound awesome, even though the tone is a bit brighter than I personally like. The fleas with barts don't sound near as good to my ears.
  20. Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Most moduli i've heard are a bit sterile sounding, although very clear and even. They are also pretty hard to beat from a set it and forget it standpoint - that neck will remain stable through environmental changes that would render most necks into pretzles.

The MM sound is more to my liking, but you should go play a bunch and find out for yourself what you like.