Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MusicMan "sound" for Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Al Bass, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Al Bass

Al Bass

Jan 11, 2004
    Lake Worth, Fl
    Does anyone know of any J-style pickups that "sound" like MusicMan humbuckers for a Fender Jazz Bass?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    That's a tough one, as the Musicman humbucker sound is the sound of two coils side by side wired in parallel (not series, which is usually the default for humbuckers).

The closest I got to a Ray like sound on a jazz like bass was the Fender Roscoe Beck 5, which has the two sets of Dual J's - you can select series/parallel/single coil for each set which gives you a great range of tonal options. Several manufacturers make the Dual J/JJ pickups now, including Rio Grande.

If you're not wanting to mod your bass to put in a JJ, or don't want get a new bass, then the J pickups with most attack are probably the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders. I still wouldn't say they sound MM like though, but it's a more agressive sound than your usual single coil J.

3. RopStop

RopStop

Oct 5, 2003
    Hi,

A German pickup company called Haussel makes bigmag j-bass pickups. They feature large magnet poles like musicman uses for their pickups.

[​IMG]

I ahve been told that the sound of these pickups do come near the sound of musicman. In my opinion, however, the only way to get a musicman sound is to have your bass rerouted to a musicman setup (with a musicman pickup right in the harmonic sweet spot).

Cheers,

Rob

4. Closest you could get (theoretically) to the musicman sound with no or minimal routing to the body would be to purchase a four conducter stacked jazz pickup (Seymour Duncan could likely wind you a Hot Stack Jazz in four conductor, Lindy Fralin might do a split jazz as such if you beg) for the bridge position, and replace the current tone pot with a push/pull switch+pot combo so you could activate the coils in parallel (stingray) or series (typical humbucker).

If you really want a true stingray tone, I think your bass needs an appointment with a router though.

5. Buy one, and leave the Jazz alone.

:D

It is not generous only having 1 bass.

I get the MM thing from my G&L L1500, and the J thing from my MIM J fretless. Very different sound, very different pickup positions and types.