MusicMan "sound" for Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Al Bass, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Al Bass

Al Bass

Jan 11, 2004
    Lake Worth, Fl
    Does anyone know of any J-style pickups that "sound" like MusicMan humbuckers for a Fender Jazz Bass?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    That's a tough one, as the Musicman humbucker sound is the sound of two coils side by side wired in parallel (not series, which is usually the default for humbuckers).

The closest I got to a Ray like sound on a jazz like bass was the Fender Roscoe Beck 5, which has the two sets of Dual J's - you can select series/parallel/single coil for each set which gives you a great range of tonal options. Several manufacturers make the Dual J/JJ pickups now, including Rio Grande.

If you're not wanting to mod your bass to put in a JJ, or don't want get a new bass, then the J pickups with most attack are probably the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders. I still wouldn't say they sound MM like though, but it's a more agressive sound than your usual single coil J.
  3. RopStop

Oct 5, 2003

A German pickup company called Haussel makes bigmag j-bass pickups. They feature large magnet poles like musicman uses for their pickups.

I ahve been told that the sound of these pickups do come near the sound of musicman. In my opinion, however, the only way to get a musicman sound is to have your bass rerouted to a musicman setup (with a musicman pickup right in the harmonic sweet spot).

4. Closest you could get (theoretically) to the musicman sound with no or minimal routing to the body would be to purchase a four conducter stacked jazz pickup (Seymour Duncan could likely wind you a Hot Stack Jazz in four conductor, Lindy Fralin might do a split jazz as such if you beg) for the bridge position, and replace the current tone pot with a push/pull switch+pot combo so you could activate the coils in parallel (stingray) or series (typical humbucker).

If you really want a true stingray tone, I think your bass needs an appointment with a router though.
  5. Buy one, and leave the Jazz alone.

It is not generous only having 1 bass.

I get the MM thing from my G&L L1500, and the J thing from my MIM J fretless. Very different sound, very different pickup positions and types.