1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicman SR5 vs ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garth02, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Garth02

Garth02

Jul 24, 2012
    Is there any bass that comes close to the MM SR 5 in terms of tone and playability? Any recommendations? Looking for a bass with versatile tone range for all types of music.

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I've recently discovered that I prefer EBMM's Sterling 5 HS over the SR 5 HH, for tone and versatility...

- georgestrings

3. Garth02

Garth02

Jul 24, 2012
    Is there any other bass on the market? Lakland?

4. Not for the price. You could try a HH, HS or Sterling, Big Al or even a Bongo.

5. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    if you like the SR5 for it's versatility than other options which may appeal to you would be the G&L L-2500, Lakland 55-94, Fender Roscoe Beck 5 and if you can find one in your vicinity than I guess one of the Sandberg California models in 5 strings.

I highly recommend that you try the Stingray Classic 5. may not seem as versatile or feature-laden as other Musicman models but you may find that the true to vintage Stingray tone it has appeals to you better than any of the various tones encapsulated in the multi pickup models.

6. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    I'm a beginner bassist and I've tested a slew of basses but it's that stingray 5HH that sticks out because of the tone. And it seems like when you have the amp flat and just use the bass eq's you can dial up so many tones to almost match those of other known basses. So far, that's the one I'm about to spend my last dollar on...So I agree....but I'm a beginner...ha ha ha.

7. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Try a Sterling by Music Man 35. They have they get close to the sound at a fraction of the price.

8. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I have found the Human Base X.OC5 to be more versatile tone wise, and an easier player than the SR5 I once owned. It's much lighter too. Only problem is finding one.:meh:

9. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    jlepre - I tested a sterling by MM also but i couldn't get that low end that I could get from the Stingray 5HH. Not saying that it can't be done but I couldn't get that bottom from it like the SR5 HH. Maybe I'll try it again because you are right, 'a fraction of a cost'....and who doesn't like to save money. LOL

10. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Oh I didn't think the OP mentioned HH. I thought he was looking for a single H.

11. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
  12. I think you should test the G&L Tribute L2500. Very versatile and good price.

Good luck.