1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicman SR5 with hum noise..the advertising says humcanceling pups!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Langueta, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    Hello there, I got an annoying Hum/Noise while using my Musicman (the hum appears when I don´t touch the strings).
    Is this something common with a musicman, why a quality bass makes hum noise??
    In the advdertising it says humcancelling pups!!
    vey annoying
    thanks

2. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    Hey Langueta, is your SR5 a new model or old/used? I ask because I know that the first few years for the SR5 (90, 91, maybe 92 model years??) they did not have the hum cancelling pickup. Also, they were changed from a alnico magnet to a ceramic pickup at the same time (or maybe it was the other way around, I forget) Mine is a 1991 model and hums like you describe. I actually slightly prefer the older pickup's punchiness over the newer pickups despite the added hum in 2 of the 3 pickup selections.

3. You are right, that could happen to any bass.

To solve the issue you should:
    - Check if your cabinet/amplifier/computer (whatever you plug your base in) have good ground connection.

- Usually such an issue can be because of bad screen inside bass (bad ground connection to bridge).

- Take your bass to guitar tech and ask for shielding. Humcancelling pickups are not enough, there are unshielded wiris inside control cavity, which could take same domestic noise.

With best wishes, Dmitry.

4. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    I bought it new 3 months ago, but I noticed the hum some weeks ago....Its is very annoying comparing it to the hum of the fender
    I ´wont take the musicman to any luthier cause I am afaid they can steal something

5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    You have a grounding (or earthing) problem my friend. I have a 4 month old SR5 as part of my collection and it does not have any problems. You need to take your guitar and amp to a tech and have him check out both items together.

If you're concerned about the tech stealing something from you, make arrangements with him to have him check it out when you bring your gear in, and while you're there.

If that doesn't work for you, contact Ernie Ball's Customer Service dept by email through their website and they'll help you.

TD

6. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    So I have a defective bass?????'ç
    Is this common in a new bass?

7. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    Love musicman, but why an expensive bass, has this type of problem
    There is something wrong in the mics?????
    good quality mics, are made to sound okay

8. Sterling4

Sterling4

Dec 15, 2008
    USA
    I have a 2008 Sterling HS through a Mesa M6 that buzzed like crazy...till I turned off the CRT computer monitor that is only 3 feet away from it. With the monitor off, it's Silent Night. Do you have any CRT's around, TVs or PCs? Or flourescent lights? EBMM stuff is first rate. Check around your casa to see.

sterling4

9. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Start doing some trouble shooting before you assume it's the bass. Try different cables,amps,and check for any other sources of noise,like the computer monitor. I have owned about a dozen MM basses over the years,and never had a noise issue with any of them.

10. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    If it hums only when you don't touch the strings then it is a grounding problem. Does it hums with the switch in all 3 positions?
    A shielding job should get rid of that noise but i'm sure a capable tech could find the source of that ground noise.
    Good luck.

11. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    It hums with the switch in all 3 positions, I tried it in different places......
    what is a grounding problem?

12. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Grounding happens when the shielding inside the electronics (paint in the case of Musicman basses) is not completly covering the preamp cavity.

13. bizmarckie

bizmarckie

Mar 24, 2009
    Grounding problems can occur in the electrical in which your equipment is plugged into, like your outlet. As stated above, other electronics that are running off the same circuit can also cause "interference", or a hum.

14. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    I tried different possibilities...turned off the pc, the tv.
    The grounding sound is still there
    My dbx compressor gain goes up when i don´t touch the strings of the musicman, On the contrary when i tried this whith the fender that didn´t happen.
    the musicman fell to the floor and after that I began listening the hum noise..it donñt have any ding but perhaps something in the mics is broken!!

15. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    So you're going to bash Musicman with your title thread, and repeated posts, talking about how it's a new bass, that it makes noise that it shouldn't, etc, and in the end, throw in this little tidbit?

:rollno:

16. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    If the buzz is there when your hands are off the strings and goes away when your hands touch them, it's a grounding or shielding problem in the bass - mine has the same issue.

The ground wire is attached to the bridge, so you can take it off and check to be sure it's making good connection there. If it is, open up the control cavity and see that it's shielded.

If you don't want to do either of these yourself, find a tech in your town and ask them to look at it - they likely wont charge for a quick inspection. You can ask for tips as to what to do also.

17. So basically you dropped it and now something has gone loose inside it.

Either that or it is an issue with the grounding somewhere else along the line.

18. Bring it to a local tech. I waited 8 months for a special order SR5 HH and when it arrived it had some major "crackle" and grouding issues. The local tech couldn't isolated the problem, so we sent it back to SLO. It was brand new and under waranty and Ernie Ball took care of it no questions asked.

As much of a bummer it was to send my brand new baby back, it had to be done. Turned out to be a cold solder joint somewhere in the preamp. They shipped it back very quickly and took great care of me!

Cheers,
    LR

19. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I bought a new car.

I crashed into a tree and now it has a dent.

New cars shouldn't have dents!

It is defective!

Jack

20. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    jajajajaja
    I noticed the grounding after it fell......I don`t know if the grounding was there before...
    So the question would be...after the bass falls, and it do´`t have any dings, what can be wrong with it.....
    I can solve the grounding problem and leave the bass perfect?