musicman sterling bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moyo, Aug 1, 2003.

1. moyo

Aug 1, 2003
    ok, ive played a MM Sterling bass and i really like it!... anyway, i wanna know if the piezo bridge is better than the stock one since the stock looks too much like the cheap Ibanez basses.

and... does MM make custom build basses?
  2. Minimaul

Jun 22, 2003
    I've been looking to get a MM for awhile now. I played a SR4 the other day at the local music shop. But I didn't like the wide neck. I wish they had a sterling in there 'cause I'd like to play one to see how much smaller the neck is.

For info about costom stuff.
  3. ghetto911

Jan 28, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    That's crazy talk, man. The stock MusicMan bridge is very solid and functional. I really don't think you could ever find fault with it. You should perhaps go look at it again, I wish I could get one put on my Jazz Bass. Now, the piezo bridge is actually the same bridge more or less, but it has tiny little piezo pickups in it that sense the vibration of the strings. It's kind of a chintzy version of a second pickup. It adds a lot of treble and bite to the sound, but to me it mostly seems like it adds in extra finger and fret noise. Some people like them a lot. If you want to know more about it, I think you should do a search. Oh, and Minimaul, the Sterling sounds slightly different from the Stingray 4. It still sounds awesome, and the neck is a bit morre comfortable in my opinion. The neck is really very similar to that of a Jazz Bass. To sum up my post: Sterlings are awesome and don't waste money on a piezo bridge.
  4. moyo

Aug 1, 2003
    :meh: well i dunno... oh by the way!, if i build a custom Sterling... should i add dual coil (bridge-birght and neck-deep) Bartolini pick-ups??

since i can do that, of course!:D
  5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    No way is that a cheap bridge. Musicman construction, and hardware are the best in the massed produced end of the business, IMO.

I am a happy sterling owner myself. I'd really like to A/B with a ray, with same strings to find out the truth to my ears. The sterling is also more versatile, with the pickup switching options.

For me, the neck is very is Jazz neck width, but feels a little chunkier to me, yet comfortable.

Add the plusses the sterling adds over the ray, even if it has a few ounces less in the gonads department, it's still worth the tradeoff to me.

BEST soultion, just buy both!
  6. moyo

Aug 1, 2003
    should i add dual coil (bridge-birght and neck-deep) Bartolini pick-ups??

this is serious!... and need an answer:meh:
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No, you'll find yourself falling in love with the MM tone!