Musicman Sterling Classic Pickup Oddity?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KJackman, Dec 30, 2015.

1. KJackman

KJackman

May 25, 2006
    Newfoundland
    Can anybody tell me more about this pickup? It's from my Musicman Sterling Classic. I had thought that it would be wired in parallel and look like a Stingray pickup. I've been digging around and can't find one that looks like it. That seems to be a long magnet there between the pole pieces to me.

Attached Files:

2. Looks like a ceramic magnet which is correct for a sterling, also sterling classics are wired in series

KJackman and Nomogram like this.
  3. KJackman

KJackman

May 25, 2006
    Newfoundland
    Thanks a lot. Do you think it's the case that the pole pieces are not actually magnets and the bar magnet is functioning as that alone?

I'm finding the pickup hot, even with the volume turned down quite a bit it seems to distort (battery is fresh and tested). I play with an aggressive fingerstyle because I enjoy the attack I get that way. Was contemplating changing this out to get some wiring options. Looking at the PCB involvement it doesn't seem that simple to modify.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021