Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman Sterling LTD Onxy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blamusic, Mar 25, 2005.

1. blamusic

blamusic

Mar 25, 2004
    Hey all!
    I am in an silly situation and need some help: I am buying a bass here in the States to sell in Europe, namely the LTD Onyx bass from Musicman. The prick whos buying told me to check EVERYTHING on the bass before buying it, which I can't do because I am getting it from bass central and am currently in NY. I have great faith in MM quality, still I am afraid that in the end he'll back out of the deal and leave me with the bass.

Does anybody know of a bass of this kind in the NY, NY area that I could try (in a shop, somebody selling), or
    Does anybody own one, who could answer some questions I have. The guy for instance told me to check whether the a-d-g strings have the same dynamics as the e string...?

He asks for a LTD bass and then has 0 faith in its quality...but it's great business, so if someone could help, that would be great.

THANKS
    Rob

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a musicman sterling. Im pretty sure the fact that it is the onyx wont matter in terms of the sound quality and overall quality of the bass. THe g string dynamics is usually a problem only found on stingrays, not sterlings. On my sterling, all teh strings are the same volume.

3. I do not think you will have to worry about the Sterling.
    Fine bass with accurate dynamics among all strings.
    Excellent craftsmanship and quality control
    And, if this person became a problem you could easily sell it for what you paid for it since they cost more there than here.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    why don't you ask the guys at bass central?

5. blamusic

blamusic

Mar 25, 2004
    Well I kinda did but understandably they don't have time to check every outgoing bass and they also say that they have doubt there could be any problem what so ever with a bass as this. I'll just go ahead and order, maybe ask them to check the bass if they have time to.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Considering the time that goes into an ordinary sale I actually think they SHOULD put the time into really checking it out. I'm quite sure 99% of the people ordering from them DON'T ask for a thorough check. I don't believe they're shipping 100s of basses a day. If I were buying and I were in your situation I would expect them to be understanding and go the extra 2 yards to answer your questions accurately. Woldn't you do that for them if the roles were reversed?

PS. IME Talkbass is a wonderful thing when it comes to getting respect from customer service people. I always throw in something like "The guys at Talkbass said...". Companies want you to write and speak nicely of them. :)