1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicman Sterling/Stingray Question Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brianeal1, Apr 19, 2006.

1. brianeal1

brianeal1

Apr 5, 2006
    Everyone knows the the stingray has that chrome banana plate under the control knobs right? Does anyone know if one is available aftermarket anywhere for a Sterling? Ernie Ball doesnt make one for it. But please if anyone knows Im about to give up on it. Thanks :help:

2. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i have a feeling that this might be more trouble than its worth. i believe that the sterling's preamp and pots are mounted from the REAR of the bass, while the banana shaped preamp is mounted from the FRONT of the bass. i'm not 100% sure, but this might complicate things...

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Ras is right, the Sterlings are rear routed, and the Stingrays, except for the new 2 pickup and 20th anniversary models are front routed. Basically, the sterlings electronics are installed from the back, so theres no need for the plate, so they don't have it. Instead, they have a panel on the back. The Stingrays electronics are mounted to the control plate, and thus, there's no plate on the back. Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know why the new HS and HH stringrays have the control plate, even though they appear to be rear routed? Just a consistent look?

Stingray

Sterling

Stingray HH

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    My guess would be for access to the switch and output jack. As for finding a plate for the Sterling: if you did find one, you'd still probably have to switch all the pots out for ones with a long shaft in order to accomodate the added thickness of the control plate.

5. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Right on the money. A bunch of us offered up opinions when the protos were shown; one had the control plate, one didn't, and neither one needed one.

FTR, I voted for no plate. It was really neat looking, but they overwhelming opinion was that the banana plate was part of the Stingray look.

Jack

6. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    A bannana plate for a Sterling would have to be pretty small and skinny to avoid the side of the pickguard, the switch, and the edge of the body. I think getting one small enough to fit would result in more of a banana peel plate and might look kind of funny,

7. brianeal1

brianeal1

Apr 5, 2006
    Yeah it probably would look funny, being so skinny, but I just thought it would add more of a ray look. Butthanks for all of your input, I can now lay my curiosity to rest.

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    i like the way the sterling is different to a stingray, gives me the chance to have EBMM that sound pretty close with different looks.