Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

musicman sterling vs stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by groovking, May 28, 2001.

1. any suggestions, i know id like the tone of the stingray, i havent played a sterling. i adapt best to jazz basses, not really a fan of chunky necks.....am leaning toward the sterling, its lighter too. if you guys feel the sterling isnt as good as the stingray, let me know,this will be my first active bass.......i can get by with the chunkier neck if the tone is all that much more killer...........thanks also is a sterling more money new/used than a stingray? theres a beauty of a sterling on ebay right now............thanks again

2. luther787

luther787

May 28, 2001
    queens new york
    I own both a stingray5 and a sterling 4. They both have identical sound however the stingray offers a little more punch. due to the 3 switch position of the sterling, you would have a bit more options

3. the Sterling is mellower sounding, and it does have a smaller neck. You can also get more sounds with it than the Ray. It's really your choice. Sterling are al little more expensive new, but since they aren't as legendary as the StingRay, they might be less used.

4. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Can the Sterling come closer to a J Bass sound than a Stingray?

5. i think it can, with the coil switching....

6. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I have a Sterling, and it does have a slimmer neck. To me, it's more comfortable to play than the Ray, and what you sacrifice on the oomph of that classic StingRay sound, you make up for in versatility. The Ray has a sound, and that's it. The Sterling can get close to the Ray sound, but offers a lot of other tonal options. The neck on the Sterling is unfinished birdseye maple, which has a nice feel under your hand, but because it's a little softer than rock maple and because of the unfinished aspect of the neck, if you live in an area with seasonal/climatic changes, you'll have to tweak the truss rod regularly. But Ernie Ball has designed the bass to allow you to do that easily without taking it in for set-ups all the time. It's a wheel at the body, and it's pretty easy to do your own adjustments. Ebay has a few nice Sterlings listed now. One is exactly the bass I own, Blue Pearl with a black pearloid pickguard.