1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicman Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirk, Apr 12, 2001.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Yesterday I had the pleasure of playing a Musicman Sterling bass. This was one of the best sounding basses that I've played. It could have been set up a little better, but it still sounded great. I was with one of the guitar players in my band and we started playing a couple of songs we knew and it sounded great. Then I tuned it down to D and it had a great open D. I was short on time, so I couldn't try out the Stingray, I'm still a little confused about exactly what the difference is between the two is. If some could maybe enlighten me I would appreciate it. A few months ago I also tried one of the new Fender American Jazz basses. It was also an excellent bass that I would absolutely love to own, if I only I had the money.

2. Dirk, I know the Sterling has a Jazz Bass sized nut, and a slightly smaller body than the Stingray, but that's about it. I don't know if they changed the electronics/pickup. I think they did it for people who
    found the Stingray neck a little intimidating.

Mike J.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Actually, the electronics have the 3 way coil selector switch, and comes standard with the 3 band EQ.

These are standard on the Stingray 5(making it more of a Sterling than a 'Ray, IMHO) but the 3 band EQ is an option on the 4, and the switchable coil is not even an option.

A lot of people(me included) think that the Sterling comes close to the 'Ray sound, but not quite. If you really want that sound, you need a Stingray 4, IMHO.

4. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I love them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!