Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirk, Apr 12, 2001.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Yesterday I had the pleasure of playing a Musicman Sterling bass. This was one of the best sounding basses that I've played. It could have been set up a little better, but it still sounded great. I was with one of the guitar players in my band and we started playing a couple of songs we knew and it sounded great. Then I tuned it down to D and it had a great open D. I was short on time, so I couldn't try out the Stingray, I'm still a little confused about exactly what the difference is between the two is. If some could maybe enlighten me I would appreciate it. A few months ago I also tried one of the new Fender American Jazz basses. It was also an excellent bass that I would absolutely love to own, if I only I had the money.

2. Dirk, I know the Sterling has a Jazz Bass sized nut, and a slightly smaller body than the Stingray, but that's about it. I don't know if they changed the electronics/pickup. I think they did it for people who
    found the Stingray neck a little intimidating.

Mike J.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually, the electronics have the 3 way coil selector switch, and comes standard with the 3 band EQ.

These are standard on the Stingray 5(making it more of a Sterling than a 'Ray, IMHO) but the 3 band EQ is an option on the 4, and the switchable coil is not even an option.

A lot of people(me included) think that the Sterling comes close to the 'Ray sound, but not quite. If you really want that sound, you need a Stingray 4, IMHO.

4. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I love them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!