1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MusicMan Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flearules12, Dec 10, 2006.

1. flearules12

flearules12

Dec 6, 2006
    yesterday i went to a local music store and i saw and played a used MusicMan Sterling bass i really liked what i heard. it was selling for $1,710 canadian dollars. im just wondering if anyone can give me any feedback about this bass and whether or not it is a good price to buy it at. thanks

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Pretty much the most amazing bass ever, at least the neck. I've had one for about 3 years now after lusting for them since they came out in the early 90's.

Anyhow, lots and lots of Sterling owners here, try a search for more prepackaged answers! No less than 400 results popped up, and that's just from the past 3 months.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not familiar with canadian prices but if you do a search, you will find that it is a great bass. My favorite of all time, in fact. For some reason it has been gaining popularity. I shouldn't say "for some reason" because there are many reasons, but it used to be a little less common to find sterling users (as compared to stingray users) but now they are coming out of the woodwork. I know I flaunt my sterling love. Lovely neck, lovely tone. I find new tones on it that I love every now and then. It is not a one trick pony by any means. Right now I am using Parallel (which i use 99% of the time now) with the bass and treble flat with a small mid boost. Great for tapping.

4. UBU

UBU

Nov 15, 2006
    NYC
    No doubt. The sterling is a fantastic bass. I have always heard that their necks moved a little too much, but I have not had any problems. Its solid, its very comfortable, and theres more useable tones than you might expect. The neck rocks...I would call it a "low fatigue" neck. It's a great bass for fingers and slap/pop...truly a cant miss bass

5. I've noticed that too, Fig. Is there some pop-punker or famed musician using a Sterling that I've yet to hear about?

P.S. I've owned my Sterling for about 7 years now. I love it!

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    There are no prominent famous musicians using sterlings. I think I've come across a handful. Most use stingrays, as we know.

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I have had to adjust my trussrod about once a year since owning mine, that's not really the case with my other basses.

Either way it's no big deal because of the convenient wheel thingy, and I wouldn't call the neck unstable or anything.

8. Not for nothing, but in the seven years I've owned my Sterling, I've lived in Boston, Westchester NY, and Binghamton NY, having played shows in Cambridge, NYC, and having taken the Sterling with me all along the way. I've adjusted the truss rod twice. Whatever Sterling does over there at EBMM, he does it right.

9. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    That sounds about right for a Canadian price on those basses.

10. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'd say that's way overpriced for a used Sterling. I have the LE Sterling, which is a one or two hundred dollar upcharge, and I got mine new for $1599. The "regular" Sterlings around here go for about $1400 - $1500 new. That's for the single H model.

How many pickups did the Sterling you tried have? Did it have a piezo pickup? That affects the price.

Graeme

11. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    I've got the HS Sterling with the piezo pickup and the 5 way eq. I'm not sure about canadian prices but I paid $1359 for mine about 3 weeks ago. I've played 2 gigs with it and I can't say enough about it.Fastest bass I've ever had and I've had a lot of em.Unsurpassed quality.Like someone said, a no miss bass.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They dont make HS models with piezo.

13. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I just got my first one a few days ago. I am very, very impressed! Stingrays have been my thing for a while, but I think I now prefer the Sterling over the Stingray. It's lighter, smaller, more frets, nicer pickup, and better tone selection. :bassist:

sterling.

14. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL

What's in mine then? It's a HS with a full humbucker in back with what looks like half a pickup by the neck. I'm confused here.

15. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    My fault.I have a humbucker with a single coil.:help:

16. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    a fantanomenal bass.... mine has translucent finish maple fretboard that has exactly one tiny ding on it, not even beltrash, paid 650 u.s.a. this year.
    Get one.... one way or another, and you will ne'er regret

there's pretty steady traffic in these and if you're patient you can get just what you want at a "can't lose money" price
    z

17. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    the Sterlings are great. ive been a rabid fan for a long while now. i have 4. 2 single H's, 1 HS and one HH.

Like folks said, the neck is super comfortable. obviously we're all different, but it seems to be a very common comment that the neck is super fast and comfy to play on.

the single H's have a 3 way switch for parallel, series and single coil and the 2 PUPers have a 5 way (HS and HH configs switch differently).

i love the sterling. like fig, its my fav bass ever. personally i think my fav flavor is the HS.

ive seen used sterlings go for $700 - $900 depending on finish (discontinued colors fetch more $) and condition... i dunno what that translates to in Canadian $.

its a great bass tho!

18. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    Although he himself isn't too popular, the bassist from Avenged Sevenfold uses a sterling, and I think a few other metal bands' bassists uses sterlings.

I've played them at stores and I've wanted one for some time now, oh how I just wish I graduated already. College sucks.

19. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Maybe the bass player in Ashlee Simpson's band? :p :bag:

20. Not that he is "using" one now but there are clips of Flea up on Bassplayer.tv with him playing an older Sterling.