Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MusicMan Sting Ray Lefty

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarztekMilita, Jul 3, 2005.

1. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
    hey all, I was wondering how much a lefthanded musicman stingray would cost. I was at the warped tour yesterday, and they had the ernie ball stage with some basses and guitars there. So I picked up one of the two leftys that they had there and wanked for a little and felt preety good, I liked the p-up placement, good for the thumb placement. I've seen thm going for about 1+grand and aint got that kind of money now, so if anyone know's were they arent that much, let me know.
    thanx!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They are very consistantly priced all over. Chances are you arent going to find a great deal on one, unless you get lucky used somewhere. Used they go for about $800, maybe alittle plus or minus since its a lefty.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Stingrays are basses that REALLY hold their value. Depending on age and condition, they consistently sell used for $800 and up, a bit under sometimes depending on the market.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Very true. To put it in perspective, i got my musicman sterling for $700, and thats a very good deal. They rarely sell for below 800/850 in good condition. I bought it from a Tber, who was desperate for cash, thats teh only reason i got it for what i did.

5. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
    thanx for the feed back guys. and i was also wondering about the S.U.B. bass. how dose it compare to the stingray and such?
    thanx again

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The SUB is a version of the stingray where EBMM cuts costs to put out a similiar instrument at a fraction of the cost. If you are on a budget it might be a great idea, although many will tell you an SUB will never be as good as a true Stingray. Basically the electronics are the same, but the paint that is used is cheaper (thicker and textured, very durable though) , the neck back is painted, and the body shape is uncontoured (slab body style). Other than that, they are similiar. I do believe the bridge on the SUB is cheaper as well. The sound on the SUB is very good though. I do advise that if an SUB is considered, get one with active electronics.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    MarztekMilita, the S.U.B. won't do you any good. Not available in lefty.

It's in competition with the Stingray, aside from the funky finish and 2 band EQ as opposed to the optional 3-band on the Stingray, it's pretty darn close. Almost bought one in my Stingray playing days but couldn't justify buying a slightly inferior bass for the same price I played for my 3 year old Stingray that came with a case.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah yes, no lefties.

9. My SR5 lefty! :hyper:

Attached Files:

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Natural and maple, yum.

11. :D Thanks!

FWIW - the SR5 is a beautiful player, smooth and responsive with a fantastic taut B. As I have said elsewhere, it took me a little time to get the sort of tone I wanted, but now I just dial it in to suit the room and off I go.

My 'Ray has plenty of balls and a distinctive tone. Highly recommended.

12. That's a beautiful looking bass, where did you buy it?

13. Ordered it through Derringers. $3800 and took 5 months to get to me! :spit:

Wonderful bass though!