Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman Stingray 4 vs. Fender Am.Dlx. Jazz 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Musicfreak1988, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    Hello, everyone.

I'm a lefthanded bassplayer, playing a lot of funk, pop, rock, slapping, popping, yeah, you could say near anything.
    Now, Fender is going to make lefty Am.Dlx.Jazz basses again this year (also Am.Std.Precisions) and now I have to chose:

To keep my Stingray 4 or to sell it so I can buy a Fender Am.Dlx.Jazz 4. What do you think?

P.S.: That'll be the only bass I'll have, so it has to be quite versatile and a fast player would be nice.

Thanks. Sam.

2. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well the necks are completely different on the 2 basses. The MM has a 11" radius and the MIA Jazz has either a 7.5 or 9.5 radius. Also, the MM is 1 5/8" at the nut and the Jazz is 1 1/2" at the nut. If you like the neck on the MM you need to go with a P Deluxe. If you prefer the smaller neck size, like I do, you should consider the Jazz or think about moving over to the MM Sterling.

3. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    MIA Fender Jazz all the way!! I have played each bass and found The MIA deluxe J far superior

4. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    I assume it's the neck difference you are after here. If it were me I would keep the stingray and save a little longer and buy the other one later. Then you have both. Also, I have found the speed issue with J necks to be a preception and not actually ture, in my case at least. Others may disagree.

5. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I prefer the J scale, but I also prefer the Sterling MM fretboard radius. A little more curve.

6. I've played an American DeLuxe Jazz, and it is a very nice bass.

I own a Stingray, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

I don't slap, but I do think the Stingray has the better slap tone of the two; think of the song, "Stomp," by The Brothers Johnson. :eek: :bassist:

I don't think a slap tone can get much better than that.

BTW, is your Stingray a lefty?

Mike

7. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I agree with Eldermike's post...keep the Ray and save for the Jazz and buy it later. I tried a J Deluxe for a few days as a demo...nice bass but it had no soul...none...the band begged me to switch back to my Alembic. A shame really, as I had high hopes for the Fender.

And if it were me...the very fact that they stopped making lefty versions would send me looking for a manufacturer that isn't prejudice. There are tons of J bass clones out there...and for what they want for a new Fender, you could probably buy two used clones of equal or better quality.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would keep the ray. The quality of EBMM basses is consistantly outstanding. That jazz is one of the few i like though, so in the future if you find one that rocks, get it then, but keep the ray.

9. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    Michael Jewels, yes, my Stingray is a lefty.

To save for the lefty J-bass is logical... BUT: It's been a really long time since Fender made a lefthanded MIA J-basses. That's where my doubts rise...: MM basses can always be ordered as a lefthanded version, and Fenders don't have that option. (Unless a masterbuilt Custom Shop, but hey, I'm a 16 year old student so I don't have the cash for that.)

If I save for the lefthanded J-bass, and it gets discontinued before I have the cash, I'm going to pull my hair out...

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Buy used...?

11. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    Yeah well, I think I'm gonna sell some of my synths or so :meh: :)

12. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
  13. Given how long its been since they last produced them, I say go for it! I love my american deluxe

14. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Both of them at that !

15. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I agree--Keep the 'Ray, also get the J.

My main bass is a 1992 Jazz Plus V, which is quite similar to the current Am. Dlx. Jazz V. I also haved two fretless 'Ray's, one of which needs to be sold to accommodate a fretted 'Ray.

I'm thinking of replacing my J+V with the ADJV, but I can't find a dealer in the Philly area that carries them.

Between the P and the 'Ray, the 'Ray is my preferred choice. But the 'Ray and the J are too different to choose between.

16. darrenmt

darrenmt

Dec 15, 2004
    Australia
    how abt this option??

Warwick Corvette 5 String LEFT HANDED - Bubinga/Wenge, upgraded to active electronics from new. As new, home use only. Includes Warwick Rock Bag, Manual and original wax. Email for pictures. Beautiful instrument £600.
    Email:mr_t20@totalise.co.uk

p.s. Not my bass..just a referral.....cheers :bassist:

17. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    I'm not such a big Warwick fan and I'm in search of a 4-string (I don't say Warwick basses aren't good, just not my thing). I'm gonna sell some of my synthesizers, so I can buy the lefty Am.Dlx.Jazz. :bassist:

18. darrenmt

darrenmt

Dec 15, 2004
    Australia
    Straight up, I'd keep the ray...no doubts abt it..cheers :bassist:

19. Im my opinion, MM Stingray has the sweetes and comfortable neck Ive ever played. They are so fast, but you know, people think jazz basses are the fastest, I dont agree at all, its neck radious feels uncomfortable to me.

Tone wise, Id go with the Singray too, or at least, the Jbass with new pickups, I dont like stock pickups on Fenders... mine has a Seymour Duncan pickup and it improved a lot (its a Pbass).

20. I'd keep the 'Ray, you're probably going to regret it if you sell it.