Musicman Stingray 4 vs. Fender Am.Dlx. Jazz 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Musicfreak1988, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Hello, everyone.

I'm a lefthanded bassplayer, playing a lot of funk, pop, rock, slapping, popping, yeah, you could say near anything.
    Now, Fender is going to make lefty Am.Dlx.Jazz basses again this year (also Am.Std.Precisions) and now I have to chose:

To keep my Stingray 4 or to sell it so I can buy a Fender Am.Dlx.Jazz 4. What do you think?

P.S.: That'll be the only bass I'll have, so it has to be quite versatile and a fast player would be nice.

Thanks. Sam.
  2. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well the necks are completely different on the 2 basses. The MM has a 11" radius and the MIA Jazz has either a 7.5 or 9.5 radius. Also, the MM is 1 5/8" at the nut and the Jazz is 1 1/2" at the nut. If you like the neck on the MM you need to go with a P Deluxe. If you prefer the smaller neck size, like I do, you should consider the Jazz or think about moving over to the MM Sterling.
  3. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    MIA Fender Jazz all the way!! I have played each bass and found The MIA deluxe J far superior
  4. Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    I assume it's the neck difference you are after here. If it were me I would keep the stingray and save a little longer and buy the other one later. Then you have both. Also, I have found the speed issue with J necks to be a preception and not actually ture, in my case at least. Others may disagree.
  5. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I prefer the J scale, but I also prefer the Sterling MM fretboard radius. A little more curve.
  6. I've played an American DeLuxe Jazz, and it is a very nice bass.

I own a Stingray, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

I don't slap, but I do think the Stingray has the better slap tone of the two; think of the song, "Stomp," by The Brothers Johnson. :eek: :bassist:

I don't think a slap tone can get much better than that.

BTW, is your Stingray a lefty?

7. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I agree with Eldermike's post...keep the Ray and save for the Jazz and buy it later. I tried a J Deluxe for a few days as a demo...nice bass but it had no soul...none...the band begged me to switch back to my Alembic. A shame really, as I had high hopes for the Fender.

And if it were me...the very fact that they stopped making lefty versions would send me looking for a manufacturer that isn't prejudice. There are tons of J bass clones out there...and for what they want for a new Fender, you could probably buy two used clones of equal or better quality.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would keep the ray. The quality of EBMM basses is consistantly outstanding. That jazz is one of the few i like though, so in the future if you find one that rocks, get it then, but keep the ray.
  9. Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Michael Jewels, yes, my Stingray is a lefty.

To save for the lefty J-bass is logical... BUT: It's been a really long time since Fender made a lefthanded MIA J-basses. That's where my doubts rise...: MM basses can always be ordered as a lefthanded version, and Fenders don't have that option. (Unless a masterbuilt Custom Shop, but hey, I'm a 16 year old student so I don't have the cash for that.)

If I save for the lefthanded J-bass, and it gets discontinued before I have the cash, I'm going to pull my hair out...
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Buy used...?
  11. Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Yeah well, I think I'm gonna sell some of my synths or so :meh: :)
  12. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
  13. Given how long its been since they last produced them, I say go for it! I love my american deluxe
  14. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Both of them at that !
  15. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    I agree--Keep the 'Ray, also get the J.

My main bass is a 1992 Jazz Plus V, which is quite similar to the current Am. Dlx. Jazz V. I also haved two fretless 'Ray's, one of which needs to be sold to accommodate a fretted 'Ray.

I'm thinking of replacing my J+V with the ADJV, but I can't find a dealer in the Philly area that carries them.

Between the P and the 'Ray, the 'Ray is my preferred choice. But the 'Ray and the J are too different to choose between.
  16. darrenmt

Dec 15, 2004
    how abt this option??

Warwick Corvette 5 String LEFT HANDED - Bubinga/Wenge, upgraded to active electronics from new. As new, home use only. Includes Warwick Rock Bag, Manual and original wax. Email for pictures. Beautiful instrument £600.

p.s. Not my bass..just a referral.....cheers :bassist:
  17. Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    I'm not such a big Warwick fan and I'm in search of a 4-string (I don't say Warwick basses aren't good, just not my thing). I'm gonna sell some of my synthesizers, so I can buy the lefty Am.Dlx.Jazz. :bassist:
  18. darrenmt

Dec 15, 2004
    Straight up, I'd keep the doubts abt it..cheers :bassist:
  19. Im my opinion, MM Stingray has the sweetes and comfortable neck Ive ever played. They are so fast, but you know, people think jazz basses are the fastest, I dont agree at all, its neck radious feels uncomfortable to me.

Tone wise, Id go with the Singray too, or at least, the Jbass with new pickups, I dont like stock pickups on Fenders... mine has a Seymour Duncan pickup and it improved a lot (its a Pbass).
  20. I'd keep the 'Ray, you're probably going to regret it if you sell it.