Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MusicMan Stingray 5 : Balance issues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trev, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    I've never tried one of these and seeing as there are only a couple of music stores where I live, I don't have the option of trying one out. I'm interested in this bass tho, cos of what I hear from ppl in regards to how it sounds, and I think I would like it a lot.

Problem is, not being able to play one, I have no idea how it balances when I strap it on. I had a major balance issue with my Warwick Corvette Proline 5 string which led me to sell it after a few years. I have an Ibanez Musician bass now, and it really balances great.

So anyway, could anyone with experiance comment on this? Thanks!

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I had an SR5, and it balanced very well, IMO.
    BTW, there are modern straps on the market, they help your bass balance better and they minimize the weight you have to carry.

Cheers,
    JL

3. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    I sold a Thumb bass for the SR5 so I know your pain. The SR5 balances really well, just get a thick strap to help with the weight.

4. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I had one, and it was one of the better balanced basses I have played.You better take the mans advise on the strap though, they weigh a Ton!

5. +1

6. vikunja

vikunja

Oct 29, 2004
    Norway
    Same here. I have a Stingray Five String and have no balance problems with it. Have also had a four string and had no problems with that on either.

7. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Thanks for the help everyone - I will definately take that advice about getting a good strap. I always (from looking at pics etc) thought the Stingray would weigh only as much as a Jazz Bass tho.

If its heavier than my Ibanez Musician, thats gonna suck, cos the Ibanez weighs a ton as well! Nonetheless if it sounds and plays great the weight is something I would just have to get used to I guess.

8. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    The balance was good on mind also, although it too heavy for my liking amongst other things

9. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think I lucked out and got a light one when I owned my Stingray 5. I found it very comfortable, balance was good (although it did want to level a bit when played sitting down). But overall lighter than I expected.

Regardless still get a nice comfortable strap and you should have no problems. Comfort Strapp or a NeoTech strap are recommended.

10. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ
    I love the way the SR5 balances, as well...no problem whatsoever. At about 10 pounds, the SR5 has good weight to it.

Definitely go for a good strap as stated by others. I'm currently using a cheapo strap on my SR5, and after a full set, my shoulder is feelin' it. My Comfort Strapp is on the way.

Mikey/

11. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    I recall seeing that strap somewhere. It it one of those wide leather types or are they made out of something else? Not sure what the techincal terms are but the ones that have sort of a padding in them.

12. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Comfort Strapps are made primarily from neoprene rubber, aka wetsuit material, and are worth every penny. IMO, they're better for people who need serious weight displacement (back injuries, etc.) because they not only transfer the weight of an instrument by the width of the strap, but also by absorbing a good deal of "bounce" from movement, something traditional wide leather straps simply can't do.

If you're talking simple balance issues, a simpler wider strap should be fine. If there's any type of pain involved, I highly recommend a Comfort Strapp or an equivalent. I'm missing the better part of three vertebrae in my back and Comfort Strapps allow me to continue to play period. Trust me on this. :eek:

13. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    My SR 5 is slightly lighter than my Fender Jazz and balanced great. Not near the pain on the shoulder the Jazz will put there.

tk