Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MusicMan Stingray 5 + case... $960

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by mgmadian, Apr 4, 2003.

1. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    MusicMan Stingray 5 in better-than-Excellent condition... not a single scratch, ding, etc. The neck is perfectly straight, the nut and frets are in superb shape, and it's set up for low action up and down the fingerboard. Specs:

* Solid Swamp-Ash body (a factory upgrade), with a beautiful grain in the wood
    * Natural finish, black pickguard
    * Maple neck + fingerboard
    * 3-band pre-amp
    * 3-way pickup selector (series, single-coil w/dummy coil, parallel modes)
    * 6-bolt neck
    * 4+1 headstock
    * Easy-access Battery compartment on back
    * MusicMan bridge
    * Comes with a Hardshell case

See pix at: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/gmadianos@sbcglobal.net/lst?.dir=/MusicMan+Stingray+5&.view=t

This is a great example of a Ray 5! I had a guitar tech modify the volume knob so that you can 'pull' the knob and bypass both the pre-amp and the volume pot (useful for recording, and a safeguard against battery failure when playing live). Aside from this, the bass is 100% stock.

No trades, please. I accept (and prefer) Paypal, also money orders. Buyer pays shipping from 94107. Feel free to call or e-mail with any questions. Thanks!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How does one go about doing the volume knob-bypass thingy?

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I imagine it would act as a push/pull passive/active switch. It actually sounds like a great idea.

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It's actually pretty complicated, as there are a number of things going on in a stock Stingray 5 pre-amp:

1. There's a 30Hz high-pass filter that clears up the sound somewhat
    2. There's a attenuator that reduces the output of the series mode and makes it more consistent with the parallel and single-coil modes... a really smart idea
    3. There's some additional circuitry to reduce the noise of the system... I frankly forget exactly what this is/does.

I had a very competent tech take care of this over here, and we both exchanged some good e-mails with MusicMan to suss out the details of what to do. In the end, he ended up working it such that the bypass does what it should (i.e. bypass both the volume pot and the pre-amp), and thus allows you to run the bass in passive mode, but it took some doing. I don't know the exact details of how he did it, else I'd share them, but at the end of the day, I was very happy with the results.

FYI... a fellow in Missouri has agreed to buy the Ray 5 as of yesterday, but in the event that it falls through for whatever reason, I'll keep this posted for the time being.

-Greg

5. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Another FYI... the purchase from over the weekend just fell through, so the bass is again available.

6. have a Ernie Ball Stingray 4 Brand New with OHSC i even have the reciept and the original little booklet i purchased this bass in 2001 brand new no marks or flaws or anything this bass is MINT the color is Vintage sunburst (which costs extra) black abalone pickguard and a rosewood neck.Would you be willing to trade? just email me at John440011@aol.com for pics and info!

7. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    John,

Thanks for the offer, but I've got too many basses already, so I'm looking for a straight sale.

Thanks,
    Greg