Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman Stingray 5 Vs. Lakland Skyline 55-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Jun 19, 2005.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Old dog, new thread....ANYWHOOOO. Okay, Selling my Spectors cuz one sits on the wall for fear of damaging it (signed & numbered nsjh-5) and only sees action in the studio, and the other one, altho the best sounding bass I've heard under $1k, has lost it's charm. SOOOOOOOO
    now that I've bought my Evil Monster Cabinet I need a new bass.

I've been tremendously impressed with both the Stingray 5 and the Lakland Skyline 5, altho I've been able to spend alot more time with the Ernie Ball. Both have a good weight to them (the heavier the better IMHO) and they both bite well enough to cut through my hateful guitarists, I'm not terribly familliar with how they wear, how well they hold up etc....

Looking to hear all types of pros and cons, ups and downs, anything anyone can tell me FROM EXPERIENCE with either of these....especially anyone with experience in very heavy rock or metal acts..

PS- ATTN Mr. Boonshoft: please, for the love of God PLEASE PLEEEEASE make me an AG500 with 750+ watts RMS. OH PLEASE. I'll pay any reasonable price....it's the only reason I dont own it already.

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I have an SR-5; it's built like a tank. It's tone is really in your face. I prefer the 55-02; it's a lot more versitile tone-wise.

- Art

3. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I was seconds away from trading/selling mine cause I was looking to get a good jazz-style 5er. I just could not find my sound anymore with my Sray. I took it to my regular Friday gig this weekend for a farewell romp before I sent it on its way. Well Hell, trying some differrent EQing and a different rig setup, used GBE 600 w/ Avatar B212 instead of my SWR cabs, I got an awesome sound out of it all nite. It has been said here many times that sometimes this bass requires some trial runs at different EQ settings to get the sound you like. Think I just found mine, as usual (GAS) still gonna look for that jazz 5er, but my Sray will stay.

4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Had both, love both and don't think you can go wrong with either but if I had to pick one...it would be the SR5.

5. I just got a SR5 and love it, can't see how you cvould go wrong with one. I've never played a skyline but they're made in korea I believe, if nothing else put your money back into the American economy and get the SR.

6. SR5

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 (tho I don't own an SR5... just played'em several times)

8. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
  9. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    These two are both horses of a different color... Everything people have said ill echo... besides the Korea remark... if in fact that was saying that its a second rate bass because its from Korea... The craftmanship of the 02 is just as sturdy and well done as the American Sr5.... Maybe it wasn't about the construction either way point stands. Everyone knows the tone arguments... But here was my selling point... The Neck. Plain and simple it is probley the easy playing 5 string (to me of course) I have played. The thinner, wider, and longer neck of the Lakland combined with the wide string spacing fit me like a glove.

10. I wasn't trying to knock korea or their craftmanship. But if I'm buying a new bass I'd rather see the money go to help pay the check of someone who works in a shop in san louis obispo than another country.

11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I prefer the Lakland Skylines because they are like me. Made in Korea and refined in Chicago. :) Though I hear that not all Skylines are setup in Chicago anymore.

I find that the 55-02 to be more versatile in tone, and the necks fit my smallish hands better. The only knock on the 55-02 is that the bass can sound too boomy when you boost the bass on the preamp. I like the 35" scale, smaller frets, thinner neck and the Bartolini electronics.

On the other hand, I love the sound of a Stingray, but I don't care for the way they play. The necks are just a little too fat for me.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm an SR5 fan and owner. Nothing really sounds like a Stingray but a Stingray. That said, Laklands are great basses and I love the 55-02's neck and string spacing. For a funk and r&b guy like myself, I think both are really great basses.

For what it is worth Ernie Ball/Musicman has to produce absolutely the best value US made instruments, period. Everybody else that is close in quality costs a heck of a lot more.

13. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The 55-02s get their electronics done in Chicago. The 55-01s do not.

I find that the 35" scale is uncomfortable, which is why I own a Stingray 5 instead of a Lakland. They are both great instruments and I think that the choice comes down to the little things like scale length or pickup layout superstition rather than quality/sound issues. I would love to have both if I could.

14. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Well, I will say that you also should consider what style of music you are playing. I find the Laklands with Barts to be less than agressive sounding in nature, to say the least. I find the SR5 to be ballsy as hell. If I were playing jazz, light rock or something that required a laid back tone, I would possibly choose the Lakland if they were my only 2 options. But for rock or metal, SR5, without a doubt. I have owned both and may possibly buy a Sterling in the future, but I will never own a Lakland again.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They may like kind of alike, but they are totally different beasts.

If you want that classic 'Ray tone, the Stingray 5 will get you much closer to it than the Bart equipped 55-02.

If you want more refined tones, the 55-02 is a much better choice than the Stingray.

If you want wide string spacing for slapping, and a great B string, the 55-02 is a great choice.

If you want an above average B string, a 34" scale, and don't mind tight string spacing, the Stingray is the better choice.

16. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Thanx guys.........No need to order....Basscentral has like fifty in stock at all times....

(apparently Dave B. wasnt compelled to look at this thread and read my aguilar comment.......time for new thread perhaps?)

17. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I've owned both. If you're looking for that StingRay sound then get the SR5. If the SR sound isn't a big priority for you, then get the 55-02.

I know allot of people say the 55-02 is close to the SR5 - but it's not. They might sound like distant cousins - but the SR5 is the only real deal option.

The 55-02 does have more 'choices' (and I use that term lightly). A halfway decent SR tone, halfway decent P-bass, a great jazz tone, and then some other things that will only happen on a 55-02.

But the same can be said about a SR5... :ninja:

18. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

As great as the SR5 and it's distinctive tone is, I'd never consider it to be as versatile as the 02.

19. I've owned a 55-94D (American version of the 55-02) and my current bass, SR5. At first, I was going to sell my SR5 for the Lakie...I mean the bass was gorgeous and I wanted to love it. Beautiful finish, and nice tone but overall, the SR5 just felt better to me. BTW, the finish on my 'ray is just as gorgeous. Tonally, the Lakland was more versatile (usable tones......maybe not but more tones....yes) but I'm simple when it comes to my gear. I find a sound I like and stay with it. Stingray tone isn't able to be copied IMO. The Lakland did a pretty good SR, and pretty good Jazz, but neither was exact. I found the Lakland neck to be too flat, it was like playing a plank. Pretty unforgiving strung through the body, every note just stuck out there. If you've got perfect technique, good for you. Personnaly, and I say this with as much tact as I can, I was not blown away by the bass. Many reviewers seem to be, I for one would have felt a bit ripped if I paid $4000 for it. For that cash you can by a true handbuilt MTD 535, now there's a bass for ya. Back on track, as I said many guys just swoon over the Lakland Skyline series.......whatever. That's the spice of life ;)