Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MusicMan Stingray 5 vs Lakland Skyline 5502

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Larry Kaye, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Some issues:

I only have $1200 to 1350 to spend.....Maybe.

I like the MusicMan Stingray 5 with good ole Pearl Blue with the white pearloid pickguard and maple fretboard and/or the translucient Teal with the same. I don't really care about the matching headstock on either of these basses.

There's also a used Lakland 5594 I don't think is sold yet here on talkbass for 1350 which is about the price of the MM5 with the options on it color wise, maybe the MM5 is slightly less?

Also checking prices recently for Lakland Skylines with american Barts,, they're about a hundred to two hundred less than a mew MM5 depending on the finish, pickguard, and headstock of the Ernie Ball.

There are several used mm5's available on Ebay and other sites in white that I'd probably find acceptable, more in the 750-900 range .

I've owned several MusicMen basses and now have owned 2 Laklands, but not the Skyline model.

I have to assume that the Skyline, with the USA barts will sound darn close to my Deluxe 55 Lakland.

Any opinions on which bass you'd get as a second, backup bass and occasional full gigging bass when I don't want to subject my main baby to heavy smoke or possible flying beer abuse? A new or used MMStingRay 5, a slightly used cheap Lakland 55 classic, or a new Lakland Skyline with American Barts?

LKaye

2. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    I don't really know much about the Skylines....

I just wanted to mention that I just picked up a MM SR 5 off of e-bay for $800, including the case (trans teal, black pickguard). I've been watching the auctions on e-bay and around $800-ish seems to be the going rate. Although, I saw another trans. teal SR5 go for $1050 or so, without the case.

Look around for deals, you shouldn't have any problem getting a good deal on an SR 5.

Don't be afraid to make offers to the sellers either. That's what I did. I watched one where the bid started out at $800. No one was bidding on it for about 4 days. On a whim, I decided to e-mail the seller to see if he'd sell it to me and end the auction early. Sure enough, he did. I think I ended up with a pretty great deal (I figured it was like paying $750 for the bass and $50 for the case).

There's a really nice looking transluscent orange on out there right now (if you're into that color, I think it looks pretty sweet).

Brent

3. I'm looking at the same two basses right now. Pretty much posted the same question at the Dude Pit. Consensus seems to be the Laklanad offers more tonal variety than the SR, and has a wider board (could be a plus of a minus depending on your tastes).

On the other hand, the SR5 has the tone, but does not offer much variety.

Let me know if you find a Skyline to try out. That's what I'm trying to do right now.

4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The Skyline with the same electronics as a 55-94 will sound similar, however, the Skyline basses do not have the graphite in the neck so it will not sound the same as a USA built Lakland.

I've played 2 Skylines but they were the basses that have the less expensive electronics. The construction was very good and both basses had very nice necks. The electronics sounded good but not much like my 55-94. IMO the Gotoh style tuners look out of place on that headstock.

Chuck

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    well... here is what I will say.. Usually when I am gigging, I get on stage, and play. I play from one song to the next.. and for every song, I use the exact same tone. Granted I play an SR5.. but i don't use the 3-way switch slector.. the only time I use that is when i'm playing completely different styles.. if I play jazz i'll switch to single-coil.. but i never play jazz and rock in the same gig. Anyway... I do think you can get more than one sound out on a SR.. even though having an extra J pup in you bass will add something else.. it may also take away from what you want. I love my Stingray.. its basically the same color you want (Pearl blue with black perloid pickguard and matching headstock) its my main squeeze.. but the lakland skylines are good to... i recommend the SR5 only because that is what i own and love... you may like the skyline better

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Larry - In Jan., I was looking at G&L's, MM's, and the Skyline 55-02. I ended up with the 55-02 and was glad I did.

It expresses what seems to be Lakin's concept of a bass which has the best features of a Ray plus those of a Jazz. I like Rays but they are pretty one-dimensional, IMO. But the 55-02 isn't at all.

Plus, I find the quality of construction of the Lakland to be far superior as far as the major components are concerned.

There is a Bottom Line post by a veteran Lakland owner who visited Lakin's shop that you may find helpful. He owns a 55-94. While he says the two are very similar, the 02 is just distincitive enough that he would want one in addition to his 94. Here's the link where you can read his post -
    http://www.amstadt.com/tblarchive/VOL2001/300-399/bl377.html

7. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I played an MM5 at lunch today at Guitar Center here in Cleveland, through an Ampeg, I think it was an r100 combo, you know, the blue one with a 15 and 100 watts, kinda retro looking.

It sounded tremendous, better in my opinion than my Lakland sounds through my equipment which is not shabby!!!

I feel similar to one of the respondee's to this string when I say that I don't tweak my sound song to song. I leave things alone other than occasional panning more to the bridge pup on a couple of songs or adding a little more bass on ballads, but essentially, I'm set at one tone the whole night. Now maybe a Lakland will give me more room to adjust my tone to fit the room? better, but, since I've been using my EA 208's and an Aguilar gs112, I haven't really had a problem being too bassy one night and not full enough the next depending on the room acoustics. I just slightly lower or boost the bottom, mids, and slightly tweak the panning on the bass. Everything except the panning is available on the MM and the "basic" sound is certainly excellent for my fingerstyle playing, + for whatever it's worth since I'm not a prodigious slapper stylistically, the slap tone is also better on the MM.

The bass was, however, not the color scheme that I'm willing to fork out $1350 out the door including hardshell case for. That's a pretty good price for a custom color one "delivered" which includes some pretty hefty Ohio sales taxes of 7.5%. What a bichen tax rate. Only you poor boys in New York and California I think have it worse than us Clevelanders!!!

They do have a blueburst one with the maple headstock and a plainJayne pickguard at another store on the other side of town which I would potentially buy, BUT....

There's too many deals on the internet and ebay where really nice looking used ones are $200-400 cheaper and for a change, someone else had to suck up the bulk of the depreciation. There's also one just listed with a buy it now for $1149 that's a piezo one.

BTW, I like the rosewood neck better. Don't know why but I like the sound better, still enough clarity, but a little more subtle high end. Whatever.

Talk at you tb'ers.

Keep the cards and letter comin'. I appreciate your feedback.

LKaye

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Frankly, these Lakland imports didn't really impress me much. Sorta generic sounding, reminded me of any number of Korean basses (e.g. Conklin, MTD, Cort, etc.) Certainly didn't see anything about their "quality of construction" that was wonderful and by no means superior to a 'Ray, let alone "far superior."

A Stingray, OTOH, is a distinctive instrument with a unique signature sound.

bassclef04 likes this.
  10. Larry: Keep your eyes peeled in your local paper and on ebay. I picked up a Stingray 5 last week, less than a year old for $800 from an ad in the local Bargain Hunter...... Also, you should check out Bass Central's site. They've got a slew of SR5's there (I was going to buy one there before I found this one). Just PM or email Gard (one of the TB mods in case you didn't know ;)) for info. He's very prompt and helpful.

I don't know about the Skylines, having never seen one close up, but the SR5's I've seen weren't much inferior in build quality and materials than the US Laklands I've seen.....For what it's worth.
    The SR5's are great playing and sounding instruments, with a little patience and vigilence you should be able to get one for a good price too!

11. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I just got a new SR5 last saturday. Keep in mind that if you special order it, you're going to be waiting FOREVER for it to be made. Mine took almost 6 months...

I would like to add that i think the piezo's are amazing, and definately worth the extra cash. They add an entirely new dimension to your sound. I like running the piezo's solo with the bass knob boosted, or more often just mostly magnetic with a little of piezo's to round it out. There are lots of possibilities. Before you buy, I suggest you get your hands on a SR5 with the piezo option for a test.

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I totally agree! I have the piezo in one of my 'Ray 5's and it gives you a lot of tonal variation. I find it especially useful for a natural, jazzy tone.